Discounts for internal fuzzy matches
Thread poster: TranslationCe

TranslationCe
Local time: 07:34
Italian to English
Sep 6, 2011

An agency I work for regularly has recently sent out an e-mail saying that its new policy is to apply discounts for internal fuzzy matches. It previously only applied discounts for repetitions and fuzzy matches from the TM (I translate a lot of technical manuals so the text is often very repetitive). Is this common practice? None of the other agencies I work for that work with CAT tools want discounts for internal fuzzy matches.

I don't want this to end up as a general discounts vs. no discounts threads. I'm really looking from input from people who work with CAT tools and offer discounts.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Technical translations Sep 6, 2011

I would just raise my "per new source word rate" with that client if they start counting internal fuzzy matches. Some of them count internal repetitions or don't want to pay for numbers (which need to be localized too), but then I just adjust my rate accordingly.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
At least they let you know Sep 6, 2011

TranslationCe wrote:
An agency I work for regularly has recently sent out an e-mail saying that its new policy is to apply discounts for internal fuzzy matches. It previously only applied discounts for repetitions and fuzzy matches from the TM (I translate a lot of technical manuals so the text is often very repetitive). Is this common practice? ...

(Dis)Counting internal fuzzy matches has been effective for a long time with most agencies using SDLX. This is when I understood that I had to charge SDLX users more than pre-2009 Trados users.

TranslationCe wrote:
None of the other agencies I work for that work with CAT tools want discounts for internal fuzzy matches.

Maybe they haven't upgraded to next-gen CAT tools. Now most of them feature this option, and to my knowledge most agencies applying discounts enable it. Compared to old Trados, it means that the same text costs them less.

With the new CAT tools and internal fuzzies factored in in the overall price, either
- You accept to lower your gross income
- You increase your base rate

Or you carry on with the old way, ie not apply discounts on internal fuzzies.

As for productivity increases in technical texts (where research is a significant part of the job) with new CAT tools, I find them marginal compared to the 10-30% difference commonly seen on the overall price with and without discounts on internal matches.

Good luck,
Philippe

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Depends on the used CAT tools Sep 7, 2011

CAT tools count words differently. Some count internal fuzzy matches as new word and some don't. Pre-2009 Trados did the former, I believe Translation Workspace (and its predecessors) does the latter. I think the trend goes toward discounting for internal fuzzy matches in an attempt to lower translation costs. To keep earning the same for translation, our only remedy is to charge a higher base rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discounts for internal fuzzy matches

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search