Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Minimum rates listed on U.S. agency's website
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2011

One example of many and keep in mind that these are "minimum" charges. This should be a wake-up call for anyone who is still charging U.S. agencies less than .09 a word or direct clients in the U.S. less than .15 cents a word (regardless of where you live) or for anyone who does not apply rush charges or minimum fees:

Translations: Minimum of $.18 cents per word/$100.00 min
Translations Rush Service: Minimum of $.25 cents per word/$200.00 min



[Edited at 2011-09-06 23:07 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Big picture Sep 7, 2011

Indeed it is always helpful to have a good understanding of the maket, especially for our colleagues who are just setting up shop as freelancers. Being self-employed means running a business. Like in any other business, one has to offer rates that are viable in the long run. Low rates are not sustainable long term and generally speaking do not make sense.

[Edited at 2011-09-07 02:11 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:56
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
No link? Sep 7, 2011

Hi Jeff

I was wondering if you have a link to check out the rates you mention as I would definitely be interested in having a look as I live in Mexico and still mostly work for one agency in Mexico City.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member
English to German
+ ...
Minimum Charges Sep 7, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

This should be a wake-up call for anyone who is still charging U.S. agencies less than .09 a word or direct clients in the U.S. less than .15 cents a word


Well, shouldn't it also make a difference if you're simply translating a business letter or a highly technical document?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:56
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
.09 a word minimum Sep 7, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
Well, shouldn't it also make a difference if you're simply translating a business letter or a highly technical document?


As far as I understand the point is that .09 a word is quoted as a minimum (e.g. for a simple business letter) and it would indeed "make a difference" in the case of a highly technical document, i.e. it would be charged at substantially higher rates than .09.

Anyway, I'm still in the dark as to knowing what to charge and in the gutter, it seems, as to what I actually get paid by my agency.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
English to German
+ ...
I am rather concerned about the rates in the UK Sep 7, 2011

I was asked for my rates for an "easy" text by a UK agency. I lowered my rate to measly USD 0.15 and I received the following reply: "Your rates are higher than our rates to our clients in the UK".
Have they all gone nuts or are they running their business from some cardboard box under the bridge? As a full service provider you have to calculate on translation, editing, project management and quality assurance.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
German to English
+ ...
Have they all gone nuts or are they running their business from some cardboard box under the bridge? Sep 7, 2011

Nope.

One large UK agency I recently contacted, and who frequently call for translators on proz, said they couldn't pay any more than £0.047 / 0.075 USD. We're not 'collaborating'!

They've just acquired a big new shiny office in the UK. Oh, and they're expanding into the US - so watch out.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxkalap
The UK Sep 7, 2011

Is known here as a low wages country.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
I had a spontaneous request Sep 7, 2011

from a US agency who normally pay $0.07 and are pretty big. I said that was unacceptable and demanded a conversion from €0.08 as the dollar was low. You see, if their president and economy get their act together, they can get a lower rate from me over time. I think that is quite fair on me and them. If the dollar is worth half of the euro, more or less, they can't expect me to work from Europe at proofreading rates, can they?

As it is now, I am not going to work for peanuts. So, they conceded to 0.11 (I see that is still lower), agreed to pay the tests I have to take (I do hope I do well as I am pretty bad at tests in general) and I hope I get work from them, although I am not confident.

This is a great heads-up though. Thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Euro Sep 7, 2011

Yes, the situation with the euro is a tricky one. I recently billed a European agency €0.12 per word (which is currently equivalent to U.S. $0.17 a word) and still worried that I was undercutting a European colleague.

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I was asked for my rates for an "easy" text by a UK agency. I lowered my rate to measly USD 0.15 and I received the following reply: "Your rates are higher than our rates to our clients in the UK".
Have they all gone nuts or are they running their business from some cardboard box under the bridge? As a full service provider you have to calculate on translation, editing, project management and quality assurance.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member
English to German
+ ...
Link? Sep 7, 2011

rich. wrote:

Hi Jeff

I was wondering if you have a link to check out the rates you mention as I would definitely be interested in having a look as I live in Mexico and still mostly work for one agency in Mexico City.


Hi Jeff,

So far you haven't anwered Rich's question, whether you have a link to support your statement.

Regards,

Marina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
English to German
+ ...
Well, this is not the going rate. Sep 7, 2011

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

from a US agency who normally pay $0.07 and are pretty big. I said that was unacceptable and demanded a conversion from €0.08 as the dollar was low. You see, if their president and economy get their act together, they can get a lower rate from me over time. I think that is quite fair on me and them. If the dollar is worth half of the euro, more or less, they can't expect me to work from Europe at proofreading rates, can they?

As it is now, I am not going to work for peanuts. So, they conceded to 0.11 (I see that is still lower), agreed to pay the tests I have to take (I do hope I do well as I am pretty bad at tests in general) and I hope I get work from them, although I am not confident.

This is a great heads-up though. Thanks.


9 cent is my rate for editing and reviewing. Our president however is not involved in any of this, so maybe we leave him out of this discussion?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link Sep 7, 2011

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a link as this would be in violation of ProZ rules. However, a simple Google search may provide you with this information.

Marina Steinbach wrote:

rich. wrote:

Hi Jeff

I was wondering if you have a link to check out the rates you mention as I would definitely be interested in having a look as I live in Mexico and still mostly work for one agency in Mexico City.


Hi Jeff,

So far you haven't anwered Rich's question, whether you have a link to support your statement.

Regards,

Marina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:56
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
a google search, Sep 7, 2011

copying different snippets from you original posting, was the first thing I did before asking re the link and the only hit it got pointed me right back here. Would copying and pasting actual text from the site break any rules?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:56
Member
English to German
+ ...
Google Search Sep 7, 2011

rich. wrote:

copying different snippets from you original posting, was the first thing I did before asking re the link and the only hit it got pointed me right back here. Would copying and pasting actual text from the site break any rules?


Well, my first search lead me directly to a company that sounds like, hmmm. Have you ever been to the Golden Gate Bridge?



[Edited at 2011-09-07 15:44 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum rates listed on U.S. agency's website

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search