Thread poster: Elisabet G.Oya

Elisabet G.Oya  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2011

Hello everybody,
I've been asked to give an estimate of a medical book (English-Spanish) of 730 pages, 4 lines per page
and 10 words per line (details given by the client).
This is the first time I give rates for a book and such an extension...should I use rates per word, page, the whole book?
Moreover, when it takes you several months to complete a translation, is it normal to ask for a montly rate?
Thank you very much for your answers!
Elisabet

Direct link Reply with quote

Egils Turks  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:09
Member (2009)
English to Latvian
+ ...
A couple of weeks, not months Sep 9, 2011

So, there will be only 40 words per page, and number of standard pages - about 117.
This means you might do the job in about 2 weeks (I assume your normal productivity and that text is not very complicated). Therefore no reason to talk about montly pay.

I have translated 2 books from English into Latvian. In both cases I had an agreement with publishing house stating my pay for the so-called author's sheet (40,000 target characters including spaces); in essence, it was pay per character.

Elisabet G.Oya  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mistake Sep 9, 2011

I'm sorry, I meant 34 lines (not 4...)

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:09
Member (2009)
French to English
Monthly deadlines Sep 10, 2011

I do not have any experience with book translation, but I can tell you that with longer projects it is common to have interim milestones and payments. This helps everyone as you do not have to wait half a year for a paycheck and the editor can review your work as you go.

isabel murillo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
target characters with spaces/no monthly rate Sep 10, 2011

Hi Elisabet,

I translate books here in Spain, from English to Spanish. However, I work mainly in literature and assay, no technical books, but as far as I know, in terms of books, things work more or less the same in both fields.

My work conditions are different for each book and are reflected on a contract signed between the publishing house and myself: delivery date, rates, payment conditions, royalties, and so on.

As for the rates, I am always payed based on target characters with spaces, and the rates in Spain can go from 8,5 euros/2100 target characters with spaces to 13 euros/1800 target characters with spaces.

In the case of a long term project, as the one you have been offered, I would negotiate two payments: one more or less at half project, the other at the end.

Don't hesitate to get in touch directly with me if you need more details.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a book-rates

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search