Asking for a small deposit before translating
Thread poster: golf264

golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:27
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 27, 2011

Is this a good idea? Especially if the agency has never posted before, just opened up a Proz account, and has no Blue Board or references?

For the rest, the employer looks like a genuine, with company letterhead, good contact information etc etc.

Is this something you can do as a transaltor in the translations field and not be frowned upon, or worst of all, declined for the project?

The idea behind is that you don't leave empty-handed in the case of a scammer.

Any input welcomed.

Teymur Suleymanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:27
Russian to English
+ ...
Play it safe Sep 27, 2011

golf264 wrote:

Is this a good idea? Especially if the agency has never posted before, just opened up a Proz account, and has no Blue Board or references?

For the rest, the employer looks like a genuine, with company letterhead, good contact information etc etc.

Is this something you can do as a transaltor in the translations field and not be frowned upon, or worst of all, declined for the project?

The idea behind is that you don't leave empty-handed in the case of a scammer.

Any input welcomed.

I would put it this way... If you don't know the agency, they have no proven track record, nothing except good letterhead and paperwork (which even Nigerian scammers are pros at), then you are safe to ask for a deposit, and it may not be actually so small at that.
Once they have paid you well and in time, have established a good track-record, you can place them on the BB and testify to their genuine nature - sure, we all will happily take whatever jobs they have to offer without any deposits.
But at this point - not just yet.

HTH,
Teymur

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Make sure it's good money Sep 27, 2011

I would just add to Teymur's comments that you should make sure you have really received the money. I know you make a lot of use of cheques in America but I don't know how they work there. All I know is that in France a cheque may be fine, and acccepted by your bank, only to bounce up to three weeks later and leave you with nothing.

Then there are the true scammers who will pay up front with a cheque far above the value of the translation - but I don't think we are talking of that here.

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for a small deposit before translating

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search