Thread poster: Branca Amado

Branca Amado  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:52
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 4, 2011

Congratulations for the section "Rates charged by Proz.com Translators". It was time for translators expose more cleary their rates, compare with colleagues, etc. Ii is said that the section is being improved, good to hear that.
I hope this can be a way of avoiding frequently low rates offered by proz.com jobs.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:52
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Of dubious value Oct 5, 2011

As the disclaimer notes, this feature reports what translators report their rates to be in their profiles, not necessarily what they are in reality. I checked a few subject areas in my language pairs, and I think the results were, unfortunately, of dubious value. The "standard" rates were much higher than I believe them to be, particularly in one of my language pairs. Also, the rates did not change when I varied the subject matter, say, from "all fields" to "business and commerce" or "IT." I would expect the latter to be significantly higher.

Anyway, it does give one at least a general idea, and I think the feature should be retained.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What are you talking about? Oct 5, 2011

Sorry for my ignorance, but I can't figure out what you are talking about.
Is it the Community Rates page?
http://www.proz.com/?sp=rates_view

Katalin

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
It's here: Oct 5, 2011

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

Ivana Micheli  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Member (2005)
Italian to English
Hi Katalin, Oct 5, 2011

There's a new updated page:

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh, that's not new Oct 5, 2011

That page has been linked from the Community Rates page for quite a while, that's why I did not understand what was the "new" thing.
Katalin

imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Absurd rates Oct 5, 2011

I've just received a website translation proposal from Spain. The client has no Blue Board observations and the budget has rates of max and min 0.02 per source word.

You may imagine they didn't receive any bids, or very few bids. No, they've received 20 bids till now!!!

How can we work this way?

Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
0.02 Oct 5, 2011

We can´t, but some people do... I just accept jobs from a certain rate, so since some time ago, I don´t do many jobs through Proz.com, as the site don´t accept minimum rate offers. I see this rate list as a plus argument to mantain my usual rates.

imatahan wrote:

I've just received a website translation proposal from Spain. The client has no Blue Board observations and the budget has rates of max and min 0.02 per source word.

You may imagine they didn't receive any bids, or very few bids. No, they've received 20 bids till now!!!

Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proz support Oct 6, 2011

Branca Amado wrote:

We can´t, but some people do... I just accept jobs from a certain rate, so since some time ago, I don´t do many jobs through Proz.com, as the site don´t accept minimum rate offers. I see this rate list as a plus argument to mantain my usual rates.

imatahan wrote:

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translation section

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search