US law on late payments
Thread poster: Mateusz Kiecz
Mateusz Kiecz  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2011

I have an issue regarding few late payments from an American based translation agency. Does anyone know what is the law in the US regarding late payments? Any links to helpful websites?

Direct link Reply with quote

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:21
Member (2008)
French to English
Contract Oct 13, 2011

Personally, I'm not aware of any law that addresses late payments between private parties as such, other than breach of contract if you and your client mutually agreed in advance to payment terms.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:21
English to French
+ ...
No US law Oct 13, 2011

There definitely is no Federal (= US) law on late payments. And I don't think that any state has any law to that effect, although I haven't checked.

At any rate, like John Fossey wrote, the issue is terms of payment in the contract, and breach thereof. But there are not too many recourses: either sue (in Small Claims Court, if there is one in the state where the late-payer is incorporated) or hire a Collection Agency.

Mateusz Kiecz  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:21
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 14, 2011

Hi guys,

Thanks for that!

That's what I am looking for. Does anyone one what is the procedure to sue someone for breach of contract?

I have just actually found out that the Head Office of this company is in Canada, so I think I must open a new thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US law on late payments

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search