US law on late payments
Thread poster: Mateusz Kiecz

Mateusz Kiecz  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2011

I have an issue regarding few late payments from an American based translation agency. Does anyone know what is the law in the US regarding late payments? Any links to helpful websites?

Direct link Reply with quote

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:47
Member (2008)
French to English
Contract Oct 13, 2011

Personally, I'm not aware of any law that addresses late payments between private parties as such, other than breach of contract if you and your client mutually agreed in advance to payment terms.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
English to French
+ ...
No US law Oct 13, 2011

There definitely is no Federal (= US) law on late payments. And I don't think that any state has any law to that effect, although I haven't checked.

At any rate, like John Fossey wrote, the issue is terms of payment in the contract, and breach thereof. But there are not too many recourses: either sue (in Small Claims Court, if there is one in the state where the late-payer is incorporated) or hire a Collection Agency.

Mateusz Kiecz  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:47
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 14, 2011

Hi guys,

Thanks for that!

That's what I am looking for. Does anyone one what is the procedure to sue someone for breach of contract?

I have just actually found out that the Head Office of this company is in Canada, so I think I must open a new thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US law on late payments

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search