Tax ID Number in foreign country - any experience?
Thread poster: Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Local time: 12:05
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
May 7, 2004

Dear colleagues,
I have received from the Slovenian agency Lomac such a letter:

"Dear Elissaveta,
we are obliged by law that all foreign nationals who work for our company and do not pay taxes for the services they provide us with in their own countries, must obtain a tax ID nr. at the Tax Administration of the Republic of Slovenia in order to receive payments of royalties.

To obtain these tax ID numbers I would need the following documents from you:
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I have received from the Slovenian agency Lomac such a letter:

"Dear Elissaveta,
we are obliged by law that all foreign nationals who work for our company and do not pay taxes for the services they provide us with in their own countries, must obtain a tax ID nr. at the Tax Administration of the Republic of Slovenia in order to receive payments of royalties.

To obtain these tax ID numbers I would need the following documents from you:

- application for obtaining a tax ID nr. (will be filled out by me, but I will need your cooperation)
- copy of your valid passport or ID (front and back)
- a signed authorization notice, which will be prepared and sent to you by email.

When I get all the necessary documents from you, I will go to the Tax Administration of the RS and obtain the tax ID number for you..."

I am a freelancer and I have done some jobs for this agency. They are paying, although slowly and with a lot of formalities, but now I wonder:
Is this a common practice? Do there is something dangerous for me in sending such documents?
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
Copy of the law May 7, 2004

Ask them for a copy of that law?
I would not give them a copy of my passport as it can be used for "other" purposes.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:05
German to English
+ ...
Tax ID Number in foreign country - any experience? May 7, 2004

Elissaveta Toteva wrote:

\"...and do not pay taxes for the services they provide us with in their own countries\"

But you do, don\'t you? Send them your Bulgarian tax ID to prove it.

Marc

Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Elissaveta Toteva (X)
Local time: 12:05
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What means tax ID number? May 7, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

But you do, don't you? Send them your Bulgarian tax ID to prove it.

Marc

Dear Mark,
In Bulgaria, the legal persons have tax ID number. I pay taxes as natural person indicating in the tax declaration my personal number from my passport. Is this an tax ID?

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Tax ID number May 7, 2004

It sounds as though your passport number also serves as your tax ID number in Bulgaria. If so, other colleagues in Bulgaria should be able to confirm that.

Marc

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sounds fishy May 7, 2004

Anyway it sounds fishy as you, as a freelance translator OF COURSE pay taxes in the country you reside. And the letter states: people who do not pay taxes...

Slovenia just entered the Eu? That may be something to do with it?

I vaguely remember something about big (e)companies selling in the EU, having to pay VAT in the country they are selling, but I can hardly imagine this would affect a freelancer - who may do 1 job for 1 country, 1 job for a client in another and pay
... See more
Anyway it sounds fishy as you, as a freelance translator OF COURSE pay taxes in the country you reside. And the letter states: people who do not pay taxes...

Slovenia just entered the Eu? That may be something to do with it?

I vaguely remember something about big (e)companies selling in the EU, having to pay VAT in the country they are selling, but I can hardly imagine this would affect a freelancer - who may do 1 job for 1 country, 1 job for a client in another and paying taxes in their home country. (income tax, VAT 0%).
Collapse

Vladimir Shapovalov
Vladimir Shapovalov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Same here...same agency May 12, 2004

But it was even more funny in my case considering that they have never paid me (although I didn't bother to send any reminders) for my services.

Frankly speaking I would never even consider to give such private information to a foreign company as I am not even sure whether they have a law on protection of private data or not and what that law stipulates.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax ID Number in foreign country - any experience?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »