Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Repeats: Paid or not?
Thread poster: erickl

Graça Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I did say it was an oversimplified answer to a complex matter :-) Oct 31, 2011

Sorry, I don't have the knowledge (and time necessary to discuss this matter in a more 'efficient' way.

I agree that there will be hundreds of exceptions to any rules that may be suggested here. So I guess we can only bet on what I call 'damage control' - i.e. define as clearly as possible with the client what are the tasks involved on a project and how much is being paid for each of them. Surprises (usually unpleasa
... See more
Sorry, I don't have the knowledge (and time necessary to discuss this matter in a more 'efficient' way.

I agree that there will be hundreds of exceptions to any rules that may be suggested here. So I guess we can only bet on what I call 'damage control' - i.e. define as clearly as possible with the client what are the tasks involved on a project and how much is being paid for each of them. Surprises (usually unpleasant) will come up but at least there will be a starting point for any necessary discussion.
Collapse


 

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Flemish to English
+ ...
What are words worth? Oct 31, 2011

Upon what figures do "we" base our assumption?
Do you have a spreadsheet with calculations of your profit-margin with(out) the use of CATs?


 

erickl
New Zealand
Local time: 01:07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not applicable Nov 1, 2011

Williamson wrote:

Upon what figures do "we" base our assumption?
Do you have a spreadsheet with calculations of your profit-margin with(out) the use of CATs?


It goes way beyond a simple spreadsheet, and many factors come into consideration: Are "we" talking a one or several languages project? which languages? the format and formatting can very much influence, if not the tranlation cost per say, the price to the customer. In a multilanguage project, can we start with an in-house translator and therefore have a "formatting template" which will save a lot of time on formatting later on when the other languages are coming in? If so, do we have the necessary time to delay the other languages? Are we talking Word file, pdf, Autocad? Monolingual or multilingual output file? And so on...

We might make a special price on a specific project to secure a new customer, or for any other reason like volume and potential subsequent business. There is also a timing factor, if a translator reminds us that he is "available" (which in some cases means he is getting somewhat worried, and eventually desperate), we might make compromises on a specific language and cut the profit-margin on a language-specific project.

In any case, the actual numbers we are using are quite irrelevant to the discussion as I see it and would certainly not be one or several set of generic numbers.
On the other hand, these numbers would not be publicly published anway, and I believe most will understand why.


 

Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
Machine-like translating Nov 1, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

For quality translation it is true, that reps need attention. But if the customer chooses not to pay for it, it is at their responsibility, not mine. In such cases I filter the less than 100% matches and translate and proofread only these once.


I simply don't do jobs involving reps I'm not paid for! It's not just about pay, I simply dislike translating "machine-like".


 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:07
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Repetition Nov 1, 2011

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

I simply don't do jobs involving reps I'm not paid for! It's not just about pay, I simply dislike translating "machine-like".


I would like to add:

I did a (paid) translation test recently. The marketing text about cosmetics consisted of a large part of repetitions. "What the ...?!?," I thought, and phrased each product description differently on purpose. Turned out this was the reason why I passed.


 

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Flemish to English
+ ...
No figures, no business Nov 1, 2011

erickl wrote:

Williamson wrote:

Upon what figures do "we" base our assumption?
Do you have a spreadsheet with calculations of your profit-margin with(out) the use of CATs?


It goes way beyond a simple spreadsheet, and many factors come into consideration: Are "we" talking a one or several languages project? which languages? the format and formatting can very much influence, if not the tranlation cost per say, the price to the customer. In a multilanguage project, can we start with an in-house translator and therefore have a "formatting template" which will save a lot of time on formatting later on when the other languages are coming in? If so, do we have the necessary time to delay the other languages? Are we talking Word file, pdf, Autocad? Monolingual or multilingual output file? And so on...

We might make a special price on a specific project to secure a new customer, or for any other reason like volume and potential subsequent business. There is also a timing factor, if a translator reminds us that he is "available" (which in some cases means he is getting somewhat worried, and eventually desperate), we might make compromises on a specific language and cut the profit-margin on a language-specific project.

In any case, the actual numbers we are using are quite irrelevant to the discussion as I see it and would certainly not be one or several set of generic numbers.
On the other hand, these numbers would not be publicly published anway, and I believe most will understand why.


All these factors can be translated into figures and a spreadsheet/programme taking all those factors into account. Numbers are not irrelevant. It is all about the money (also from the translators point of view) and money equals figures. No figures, no business.

Anyway, your arguments only apply for your niche of the translation business and as you say, it is up to the translator whether or not (s)he wants to work for you.
I for one, don't work for pennypinchers.

[Edited at 2011-11-01 09:21 GMT]


 

erickl
New Zealand
Local time: 01:07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 1, 2011

Williamson wrote:

erickl wrote:

Williamson wrote:

Upon what figures do "we" base our assumption?
Do you have a spreadsheet with calculations of your profit-margin with(out) the use of CATs?


It goes way beyond a simple spreadsheet, and many factors come into consideration: Are "we" talking a one or several languages project? which languages? the format and formatting can very much influence, if not the tranlation cost per say, the price to the customer. In a multilanguage project, can we start with an in-house translator and therefore have a "formatting template" which will save a lot of time on formatting later on when the other languages are coming in? If so, do we have the necessary time to delay the other languages? Are we talking Word file, pdf, Autocad? Monolingual or multilingual output file? And so on...

We might make a special price on a specific project to secure a new customer, or for any other reason like volume and potential subsequent business. There is also a timing factor, if a translator reminds us that he is "available" (which in some cases means he is getting somewhat worried, and eventually desperate), we might make compromises on a specific language and cut the profit-margin on a language-specific project.

In any case, the actual numbers we are using are quite irrelevant to the discussion as I see it and would certainly not be one or several set of generic numbers.
On the other hand, these numbers would not be publicly published anway, and I believe most will understand why.


All these factors can be translated into figures and a spreadsheet/programme taking all those factors into account. Numbers are not irrelevant. It is all about the money (also from the translators point of view) and money equals figures. No figures, no business.

Anyway, your arguments only apply for your niche of the translation business and as you say, it is up to the translator whether or not (s)he wants to work for you.
I for one, don't work for pennypinchers.

[Edited at 2011-11-01 09:21 GMT]


Neither do we, and furhtermore, we believe in civility


 

crista_b
United States
Local time: 08:07
French to English
+ ...
Repeats or fuzzy matches? Nov 1, 2011

It seems that there is a difference depending on whether you're discussing repeated words, 100% matches or fuzzy matches.

The agency that I work with generally pays 1/3 the translation rate (or the proofreading rate) for repeated words. The discount is also applied to 100% match words ONLY IF the TM used for the analysis is a specific TM for that particular client. All other matches and new words are charged at the regular translation rate.

I feel that this is a fair wa
... See more
It seems that there is a difference depending on whether you're discussing repeated words, 100% matches or fuzzy matches.

The agency that I work with generally pays 1/3 the translation rate (or the proofreading rate) for repeated words. The discount is also applied to 100% match words ONLY IF the TM used for the analysis is a specific TM for that particular client. All other matches and new words are charged at the regular translation rate.

I feel that this is a fair way to charge.
Collapse


 

erickl
New Zealand
Local time: 01:07
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repeat or fuzy Nov 1, 2011

crista_b wrote:

It seems that there is a difference depending on whether you're discussing repeated words, 100% matches or fuzzy matches.


We were looking at repeats, whether or not they were within the document or 100% matches from the memory, and not the so-called fuzzy.

And the system you describe is indeed one of the ways to handle them.

The fuzzy is another problem altogether, which are not part of the analysis, and have been looked separately.


 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repeats: Paid or not?

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search