Free sample
Thread poster: Susanna Garcia

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2011

Who else received this?
Yes really, a free sample ...........of a translation test.
What a relief I won't have to pay for it.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:35
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Spam? Nov 5, 2011

Is that a spam?

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 11:35
English to German
+ ...
Has happened to me Nov 5, 2011

Oh yes, once I was offered to take a translation test and the agency proudly claimed that I wouldn't have to pay for doing the test.

I guess we have to be thankful not to have to pay for the tests we take.icon_razz.gif

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tell us more? Nov 5, 2011

Susanna Garcia wrote:
Who else received this? Yes really, a free sample ...........of a translation test. What a relief I won't have to pay for it.

No, I didn't get it. What is it?

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
They are so generous. Nov 6, 2011

Yes, I received this as well.

And I was strongly tempted to send them an email in which I was going to express my inmense gratitude for being a chosen one, someone who doesn't have to pay for the test. But... at the last minute I decided not to send it.icon_biggrin.gif

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is it a joke? Nov 6, 2011

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Oh yes, once I was offered to take a translation test and the agency proudly claimed that I wouldn't have to pay for doing the test.

I guess we have to be thankful not to have to pay for the tests we take.icon_razz.gif

A free test is usually taken by translators who are eager to find the jobs with agencies. But what's that sort of ageny, which even asked for payment from the test candidates? If that's the true case , how different the future careers of the translators might be? !

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If the test is valuable for the translator... Nov 6, 2011

James_xia wrote:
A free test is usually taken by translators who are eager to find the jobs with agencies. But what's that sort of ageny, which even asked for payment from the test candidates?

If the feedback from the client would be valuable for the translator, then there is nothing wrong with paying for the feedback. After all, if you regularly ask colleagues to proofread test translations that you yourself devise, then you pay them for their efforts, don't you? And if the agency is reputable, why should you not willing to pay for feedback from them too?

But I suspect that the scenario under discussion here is not one of paying for feedback but of paying for the privilege of doing the test, right?

In the business world is it not unheard of for parties who submit tenders for a job to pay for the tender documents or to pay for the evaluation of their tenders. In fact, in some fields it is perfectly normal to do that -- as long as the payable amounts are consistent with the effort to evaluate.

Why is everyone so hush-hush in this thread? No-one dares to mention the amount of money involved. Surely the price of the test translation would be a deciding factor in determining if it is a scam, don't you agree?

And can anyone confirm if feedback would be given? If so, then it would be doubly worth the money to do the test, right? After all, how much do you normally pay for a postal test translation given by a translation association? SATI's price is EUR 30.00 for a test with limited feedback from a single proofreader. What do other translation associations charge for this kind of service?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't see a link Nov 6, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

But I suspect that the scenario under discussion here is not one of paying for feedback but of paying for the privilege of doing the test, right?

I can't see any email or link to one so am not sure what the actual debate is, but I am currently so fed up with intermediaries that I no longer consider doing test translations for any of them. There is nothing more irksome in this sense than taking the time out to do a neat translation only to subsequently find that the job has gone to someone else.

James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Our time and effort are both valuable, too Nov 6, 2011

Basically, a charged test is required by the translators who are to take it on. Yet it's somehow worthwhile if you pay for a valuable feedback from the agency like SATI, etc. But in personal point of view, that's not a typical one as most of us have usually experienced. For most of the free tests, translators are more than placed in a passive state than merely completing a short test for potential jobs. So, it's quite understanding for us to cherish our time and effort, and doing any of these tests should be cautious enough to avoid becoming another victim of this sort of agencies.

neilmac wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

I can't see any email or link to one so am not sure what the actual debate is, but I am currently so fed up with intermediaries that I no longer consider doing test translations for any of them. There is nothing more irksome in this sense than taking the time out to do a neat translation only to subsequently find that the job has gone to someone else.

[Edited at 2011-11-06 13:55 GMT]

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free Sample Nov 6, 2011

Briefly what happened was that I received a mass e-mail with a short text attached which the agency referred to as a free sample rather than a test translation although it clearly was.To me, this inferred that they were doing me a favour by not charging me for the privilege of their test/sample. I just felt that this was a strange way of looking for translators. Perhaps charging us for test translations will be the next step!

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
For whom is the sample "free"? Nov 7, 2011

I don't know the exact wording of the email you received but it sounds to me like it might be ambiguous. Could it not mean that they want a "free sample" from you, i.e. an unpaid test?

This is not unusual from agencies, although I have stopped doing such tests unless I am really very interested in working for the agency concerned.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free sample

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search