How to find out if a US agency is going bankrupt
Thread poster: linda132
linda132
linda132
United States
Local time: 14:58
English to Spanish
Nov 7, 2011

Hello, does anyone know how a freelance interpreter can find out if/when a US agency s/he works for is going bankrupt? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Talk to your CPA Nov 7, 2011

CPAs have access to all kinds of data. Of course, you could pay a fee and perform a credit check on this particular outsourcer, but I would talk to my CPA first.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
CPA? Nov 7, 2011

What/who is a CPA, please?
Jenny

Valerie35 (X)
Valerie35 (X)
Local time: 23:58
German to English
CPA is a ... Nov 7, 2011

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Jenny

Certified Public Accountant

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
CPA Nov 7, 2011

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Jenny

A Certified Public Accountant. Your tax preparer.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:58
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Blue Board rating should go down Nov 7, 2011

otherwise you can actively contact other translators who work for this agency / client...
If it takes longer and longer to receive payment for your invoices, you get all sorts of funny excuses, they ask you for discounts and have a feeling this is not right, they probably have some cash-flow problems.

If you've worked for them for a while, you might just ask them plainly - if they are honest, they should give you an honest answer - especially if they are your main client ! ..
... See more
otherwise you can actively contact other translators who work for this agency / client...
If it takes longer and longer to receive payment for your invoices, you get all sorts of funny excuses, they ask you for discounts and have a feeling this is not right, they probably have some cash-flow problems.

If you've worked for them for a while, you might just ask them plainly - if they are honest, they should give you an honest answer - especially if they are your main client ! .... better start looking for new work....

Ed
Collapse

linda132
linda132
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Edward, Nicole, Jenny Nov 7, 2011

I will talk to my CPA today and ask my colleagues for more information. Enjoy your day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find out if a US agency is going bankrupt

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »