Thread poster: Andreea Birsan

Andreea Birsan
Romania
Local time: 04:17
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 10, 2011

Hello, all,

Could you please tell me what methods you use to evaluate your work when translating Autocad drawings? I need to give the customer a quote for about 60-70 drawings that I have translated and I understand that I can:
-either count the hours I spent translating the drawings and then applying the hourly fee for interpretation services
-count the words of the translated drawings and propose a fee.
-?
As regards the second option, I find it impossible to apply due to the fact that the final words (that is, if I can manage to convert the drawings and count the words) would amount to a number of pages which I think does not reflect the actual work. Especially since the text is quite technical and it required a great deal of research before actually finding the appropriate word.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,
Andreea

Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:17
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
charge per hour Nov 10, 2011

Hi!

As I am -also- an architect, I have been asked to translate AutoCad drawings some times. I always charge per hour because the service includes translation and DTP.
But even if you deliver a table in MS Word with Source/Target text or pdf files with sticky notes showing the translation next to every source text in the drawing (or any other way you may use to deliver this translation), you should charge per hour because there is no simple and automatic way to extract the text from the drawings. In my opinion, if a client wants to pay this kind of job per word, he/she must send the extracted text and deal with the drawings himself.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Have a very nice day!

Laura

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:17
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Quote "after the fact"? Nov 10, 2011

criso wrote:

Hello, all,

Could you please tell me what methods you use to evaluate your work when translating Autocad drawings? I need to give the customer a quote for about 60-70 drawings that I have translated and I understand that I can:
-either count the hours I spent translating the drawings and then applying the hourly fee for interpretation services
-count the words of the translated drawings and propose a fee.
-?
As regards the second option, I find it impossible to apply due to the fact that the final words (that is, if I can manage to convert the drawings and count the words) would amount to a number of pages which I think does not reflect the actual work. Especially since the text is quite technical and it required a great deal of research before actually finding the appropriate word.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,
Andreea

Dear Andreea,

What strikes me as odd in this case is that you are going to submit a quote for a translation already done. Shouldn't you have agreed terms beforehand?

Other than that, I fully agree with Laura.

Best regards,
Steffen

Andreea Birsan
Romania
Local time: 04:17
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quote "after the fact" Nov 10, 2011

Dear Steffen,

Unfortunately yes, it must be after the fact has been "committed". I can tell you how it will all happen: I will estimate a few hours, less that those I worked but surely more than they are willing to pay so in the end I will most likely accept what they have to offer. We’re talking about a regular client, who gives me work quite often and we do not negotiate fees...

I think it depends on the client you are working with - in this case, I could not bring them to see why a revised page is 50% of the normal translation fee per page, so I doubt I’ll be able to invoice more than 10 hours and actually get paid. In our country, there are still many who believe that translations can be performed by a simple secretary who "knows English", so it´s a bit difficult to try and educate your client. Also, in our country anyone who graduated a bilingual highschool can become a sworn translator, go figure…
Anyway, so per hour as in interpretation fee per hour? I’ve never quoted per hour, so I have no idea.

Thank you both,
Andreea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quote for Autocad translation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search