Rate per line for translation from German
Thread poster: Johanna Holmberg

Johanna Holmberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2011

I've been asked by a German agency to state my rates per line and find myself at a loss. I generally charge 0,14 EUR per word for translation from German inte Swedish. Could someone give me a hint as to what this would make if converted to EUR/line? According to the agency, they count 50 characters to a line, including blank spaces. Is 1 EUR/line a price that is approximately in the same range as my word price, or am I wide off the mark?

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
German to English
+ ...
Here you go: Nov 13, 2011

Take a text you have translated (source or target depending on how you are going to charge). Do a word count and multiply by your word rate. Note the total price. Now count the same text, but take the no. of characters with spaces and divide by 50. That is the no. of lines. Then take the total price you calculated & divide by the no. of lines you just came up with. That would be your line rate. This is assuming both prices are in euros (same currency).

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Fee Wizzard Nov 13, 2011

You could use the wizzard of our Italien colleague Alessandra Muzzi

I just checked very rapidly and the line fee would be in your case almost exactly 1,00 Euro (99,39 cents).

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate per line for translation from German

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search