https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/212062-rates_charged_for_translation_services_in_australia.html

Rates charged for translation services in Australia
Thread poster: K S (X)
K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
Nov 15, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have recently relocated to Australia to join my husband who is a student at a local university. Before the big move, for 5 years I worked as a full-time freelance translator and interpreter in Liverpool, England where I managed to establish a quite successful business with a fair number of direct clients. My husband and I are planning to stay in Australia for a few months or so and I would like to use this opportunity to promote my translation business here.
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have recently relocated to Australia to join my husband who is a student at a local university. Before the big move, for 5 years I worked as a full-time freelance translator and interpreter in Liverpool, England where I managed to establish a quite successful business with a fair number of direct clients. My husband and I are planning to stay in Australia for a few months or so and I would like to use this opportunity to promote my translation business here.

I have already been approached by a few clients, but had absolutely no idea how much I should charge. The fees in England vary from 0.06 to 0.09 pounds per source word. This would be 0.09-0.14 Australian dollars per source word. Are they too high or too low? What is the avarage rate you charge for a standard translation? I know all depends on the language combination, qualifications and experience. I am interested in finding out what the standard rates are - as the last thing I want is to drive away potential clients with my ridiculous quotes!

You can learn more about my background by visiting my website at www.slobodzian.co.uk This - I hope - will you give a rough idea where I stand as a translator and how much is not too much.

All suggestions and comments from Australia-based language practitioners are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you!

Kasia
Collapse

Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Simple way Nov 15, 2011

Just give brief translation job for Australian translators, one or two translators of each states. This is one of market survey methods.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates charged for translation services in Australia

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »