"F*ck You. Pay Me!"...
Thread poster: Geraldine Oudin

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Nov 24, 2011

...is the title of this interesting 30 minutes video, filmed during a seminar about payment issues.
The seminar was aimed at independent design professionals, but the bits about negociation and contracts apply to any freelance activity.

http://vimeo.com/22053820

Direct link Reply with quote

Ilona Loeber  Identity Verified

Local time: 12:16
Russian to English
+ ...
Brilliant speaker!!! Nov 25, 2011

I would like to thank you, Geraldine, for bringing this important topic!!! Short and to the point! I was laughing and crying at the same time due to the issues involved in our field. It is important to know your rights and to know that you can protect yourself by simply writing contract agreements between parties. If you are being asked to translate something more than 250 words for free, consider it as a scam. You can provide agencies or sources with your own copy of sample translation that you have done in the past. Contract binds parties with liabilities and then everyone is happy.

Great lesson for freelancers!
Ilona Loeber

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Interesting for 2 minutes only Nov 25, 2011

Geraldine Oudin wrote:
...this interesting 30 minutes video, filmed during a seminar about payment issues.

He looks like a brilliant speaker for 30 seconds, and then... nothing except a guy who walks back and forth and not getting to the point of his next paragraph. He lasted two minutes on my screen.

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obviously Nov 25, 2011

Of course Sam these are basic things that any experienced translators should know, and I'm glad you do.

But I thought beginners with no knowledge of the business world would benefit from them.

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
I have 20 years of experience in the business. Nov 25, 2011

And I found the seminar interesting. Thanks for the tip Geraldine.

[Edited at 2011-11-25 08:34 GMT]

xxxXX789  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Samuel Nov 25, 2011

Great title, but that was about it. The guy is a bad speaker who gets boring very soon. He does not know how to captivate the audience.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Even a boring speaker Nov 25, 2011

Loek van Kooten wrote:
Great title, but that was about it. The guy is a bad speaker who gets boring very soon. He does not know how to captivate the audience.

Even a boring speaker can give a captivating talk, if certain golden rules are adhered to.

What he should have done was to tell me fairly early in the talk what the talk will be about. All I know is that he starts off pretty good with examples that the audience can relate to, and then he reveals the title of his talk (to cheers from the audience), but after that he just launches into a narrative with seemingly no end ("and then... and then... and then...").

What he should have done was to tell me (after revealing the title of the talk) what the talk would be about, or what the main points are that he will try to make, or what problem his talk is aimed at solving, etc. He does none of that. The organisers provided him with an expensive, state-of-the-art data projector, and he uses it to display the title of his talk.

So, to those who actually sat through the talk, please enlighten us: what is it about?

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Attorney Nov 25, 2011

@Sam
It was about how important it is to have a good relationship with an attorney who will draw up a contract for you and assist in enforcing it.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
French to English
True dat Nov 25, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

What he should have done was to tell me fairly early in the talk what the talk will be about. All I know is that he starts off pretty good with examples that the audience can relate to, and then he reveals the title of his talk (to cheers from the audience), but after that he just launches into a narrative with seemingly no end ("and then... and then... and then...").

I give the worst presentations in the world, and even I know that the rule is along the lines of "tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, tell 'em, then tell 'em what you just told 'em."

When the lawyer showed up, I switched it off, 'cos I thought we were about to meet 'n' greet his chums in the room. If I'd known he was the nub and crux of the whole thing....

(Also a bit gratuitously sweary for me. I'm all for well-placed "fuck you" when "fuck you" is the appropriate response, but for some of those circumstances at the outset at least, "fuck you" was not the right response, in my humble opinion.)

Donald Hubert Duffy III  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Nov 25, 2011

I thought it was a good talk. I wasn't confused as to what it would be about either.

As for the swearing gimmick, it is what it is. He repeats the title a few times in the beginning and then swears only every so often afterwards.

Szilas Cseh
Serbia
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I learned a lot from watching the presentation. Nov 26, 2011

Thanks for sharing it!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
lawyer Nov 26, 2011

Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Noyes wrote:
@Sam
It was about how important it is to have a good relationship with an attorney who will draw up a contract for you and assist in enforcing it.

Yeah! This was my main impression. Good marketing for that particular lawyer. Additionally a few interesting issues, but basically I agree with Samuel and Loek - nothing new and the guy is a rather boring speaker, and does too much bouncing around.
Ewa

[Edited at 2011-11-26 21:09 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
One very important point! Nov 27, 2011

Near the end there is one very important piece of advice: when the relationship with a customer is becoming tense and discomfort talking to them starts to emerge, use the phone or visit them them! Using email in that situation is a mistake. When tense, we always write things we regret later.

Just as it happens in personal relationships: showing that you have listening ears and that you care enough as to express your feelings in person always helps a lot even if conversation itself is a mess.

We translators should use the phone much more. It does wonders! What an amazing invention!

[Edited at 2011-11-27 07:21 GMT]

Kailing Huang  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Interesting subject, mediocre presentation...at best... Dec 1, 2011

I'd have to agree with Sam on a certain level... except he's not a horrible speaker - he just seems completely unprepared about how he's going to deliver his ideas. He shouldn't need a lawyer up there to do the talk-bouncing if he was fully prepared. For instance, the speaker never actually offers a solid strategy on how to deal with situations that he presented. Ex: He literally just cuts himself off right in the middle of explaining something (7:16) and called in his lawyer to present himself - without further discussing HOW to solve the problem that he just presented to the audience! Not a very professional presentation...

The video is a good stepping stone though, to help freelancers think about how to better protect themselves when negotiating with a client. Thanks for sharing

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"F*ck You. Pay Me!"...

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search