Quoting a PDF document
Thread poster: Angeles Barbero

Angeles Barbero  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
Member (2011)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Nov 25, 2011

How can I quote a PDF document where I cannot count words?
The pages do not have the same amount of text.
Can anybody help me?

Direct link Reply with quote

Miriam Neidhardt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Abby Nov 25, 2011

Try Abby FineReader, also availabe as a free trial version. It converts pdfs to word files, so that you can count the words. Great tool!

Miriam

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:16
Italian to English
Here Nov 25, 2011

http://www.abbyyonline.com/en

or alternatively

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=anywhere&lang=engb

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:16
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ABBYY Nov 25, 2011

Miriam Neidhardt wrote:

Try Abby FineReader, also availabe as a free trial version. It converts pdfs to word files, so that you can count the words. Great tool!

Miriam

Good advice but the free trial version will only convert three pages at a time. It is a good program and not very expensive - I would purchase it right away. It will be very useful because pdf-files.are frequently sent for quotes.

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Add 10 % (at least) Nov 25, 2011

Keep in mind that you cannot use Trados on a pdf-document (the Trados solution is conversion, just like Abbyy and Nuance). You can either convert it and spend time formatting the document, or you can write the translation into a new file. Either way pdf-documents are a hassle. When I quote extra for this, it is amazingly how often the customer finds a perfectly good Word document

This topic has, however, been discussed often on proz – just do a search. I have found that using Google and adding the word proz is just as effective as searching within proz.

Arrakis
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
PDF Nov 25, 2011

If the PDF file is not protected, CTRL+C/CTRL-V to Word and you will have the result.
At least, this is what I am doing.

Arrakis

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
PDF Converter Nov 25, 2011

I always use the program "PDF Converter", to convert into Word. and then count.

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Try this one Nov 25, 2011

http://www.anycount.com/

I own an older version, so I use to convert PDF files using Abby Fine Reader, but according to the website the recent version of Any Count is capable of counting words in PDF files as well. Moreover, it is great little tool if you need to count words (or characters or standard pages) in many Excel or Word files at once. I have been using the software for years and can strongly suggest it.

[Edited at 2011-11-25 21:45 GMT]

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:16
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Plus... Nov 25, 2011

Arrakis wrote:
If the PDF file is not protected, CTRL+C/CTRL-V to Word and you will have the result.
At least, this is what I am doing.
Arrakis

And for doing it in one step for the whole document: CTRL+A/CTRL+C/CTRL+V

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
There are text PDFs and graphic PDFs Nov 26, 2011

Keep in mind there are two different kinds of PDF files. Text PDF, generated directly from the editable source file, contains encoded text that can be copied to Word (if not locked by password), counted by programs like Total Assistant, Anycount, etc.

On the other hand, graphic PDF files - for example, received faxes - contain only an image of the text, and the only way to count is it to OCR it.

A file may also contain a mixture of the former and the latter.

I second the recommendation for ABBYY Finereader - it's probably the best OCR program on the market today. If you feed it a text or mixed PDF, it will directly pull out whatever encoded text there is, and OCR the rest.

For counting purposes, you may use Finereader in fully automatic mode. On the other hand, if you want to get a good editable text - for example, to translate it using a CAT tool - take your time to study the Finereader manual, and control the recognition process yourself. In particular, you'll most likely need to define recognition areas manually.

Finereader's main shortcoming is that it creates a fine mess of Word styles with different paragraph format settings. To minimize it, don't yield to the temptation to preserve all the text features Finereader discovers - save the results as "formatted text" or even "plain text" rather than "editable copy", and then recreate the formatting yourself. (A good mastery of Word style control will help a lot).

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Extracting editable text from PDF files... Nov 26, 2011

Wordfast Anywhere can "extract" editable text from so-called dead PDFs (scanned files wrapped in PDF format) and save the result as a MS Word file.

99% of the time, the results are on the acceptable (some edits needed) to flawless side.

I feel this free option is generally forgotten and I wonder why.

http://freetm.com

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dont's ask = don't get Nov 26, 2011

Per Magnus wrote:

Either way pdf-documents are a hassle. When I quote extra for this, it is amazingly how often the customer finds a perfectly good Word document

My thoughts exactly. However, it never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to bend over backwards to accommodate the often unreasonable demands of agencies/clients rather than simply explain the way things are and try to reach a mutually beneficial agreement.

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:16
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
FineReader? They are simpler (and free) tools for counting words in PDF files Nov 26, 2011

Try http://abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=718

I also have FineReader, but using it for counting words in a PDF file is similar to trying to kill a mosquito with a cannon!

Saludos

Peter van der Hoek
Venezuela
Local time: 07:16
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Great option Nov 27, 2011

Jorge Payan wrote:

Try http://abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=718

I also have FineReader, but using it for counting words in a PDF file is similar to trying to kill a mosquito with a cannon!

Saludos

This is indeed a great way of counting words in PDF files.
I personally have Adobe Acrobat X Pro, so converting files into Word is pretty easy. In case of scanned files, Wordfast Everywhere is a fantastic tool.

If you don't want to dash out the money for Acrobat X Pro (which basically hardly anyone should), Wondershare (www.wondershare.com) and NitroPDF (http://www.nitropdf.com/) make a very nice converter. Just remember that if you use a programme like this, keeping the exact format may be a bit of a hassle.

Michael Zapuskalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:16
English to Russian
+ ...
. Dec 3, 2011

According to my practice 89% of PDF-documents are made of text-files (.doc, .docx...). 10% are from Matlab and I translate them in CorelDraw (Payment for hours of work. Not for words.).
1% are poorly printed, poorly scanned documents which don't exist in digital form.
Finereader helps but its formatting is a nightmare (even in the latest version).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting a PDF document

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search