reviewing : lower rate for matches /repetitions?
Thread poster: ElectraV

ElectraV  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:04
Member (2010)
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

Hi everybody,

Some days ago I received an offer from an agency (Trados a must), asking for my rates for all kinds of matches (75-99%, 50-74%) and repetitions. They also wanted a proofreading/review quote and I gave them my usual hourly and per word rates.

Then I was informed that the project was assigned to another translator. However, they still want me to send them my review rates according to the above matches and repetitions categories, which is something completely new to me.

When proofreading/reviewing in Tag Editor, do lower rates usually apply for matches and repetitions??
It sounds a bit... over the top.. or not?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 04:04
Japanese to English
Hmph Dec 2, 2011

If they're asking for "review rates," then they're expecting something cheaper than your first rate. Unless you really need the money, I'd say turn the project down entirely. If you're not good enough for their precious project, how come you're magically good enough to review it?

As the final reviewer you'll be the one ultimately responsible for the quality of the translation, but at the same time you'll be getting paid far less than you deserve. Save yourself the pain.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
?? Dec 2, 2011

ElectraV wrote:
When proofreading/reviewing in Tag Editor, do lower rates usually apply for matches and repetitions??

Nope. You will be basically reviewing everything, and the matches gained from the memory are not a concern to you at all. I have match discounts for CAT-based projects, but in the case of review... it is always the full review rate (approx. 1/4 of my translation rate).

The customer always has the option in TagEditor to pretranslate and lock the segments they do not want you to review again (if they have been reviewed in a previous project and that they are positive that they will be OK in their new places), but if they do not pretranslate/lock text... you review everything and should get paid the full review rate in all segments.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have encountered it Dec 2, 2011

ElectraV wrote:
However, they still want me to send them my review rates according to the above matches and repetitions categories, which is something completely new to me.

No, that is just silly, although I have had agencies ask me to do that. When that happened, I simply looked at the total amount to decide whether to "give" these "discounts".

If a CAT tool auto-propagates updated segments, then it would be acceptable to not charge or charge very little for repetitions, but that would only apply to auto-propagating repetitions.

If a CAT tool showed me the original source/target text along with the updated source/target text, and colour-coded the differences so that I could see the differences immediately, then I would be willing to give a revision discount for high matches, if not only the source texts are high fuzzies of each other but the target texts also. But I know of no CAT tool that does that.

The point is that it takes me just as long to proofread a high fuzzy match than it takes me to proofread a 0% match. In fact, if the translator was sloppy, it actually takes longer.

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:04
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
!!! Dec 3, 2011

ElectraV wrote:
When proofreading/reviewing in Tag Editor, do lower rates usually apply for matches and repetitions?? It sounds a bit... over the top.. or not?

And what else? They go to the grocery store and ask the manager to reduce the price of the cherries cause they don't eat the stems and pits?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mándales a freir monas Dec 3, 2011

ElectraV wrote:

Hi everybody,

Some days ago I received an offer from an agency (Trados a must), asking for my rates for all kinds of matches (75-99%, 50-74%) and repetitions. They also wanted a proofreading/review quote and I gave them my usual hourly and per word rates.

Then I was informed that the project was assigned to another translator. ..

Thanks in advance.

Sounds all too familiar. I don't do Trados and hate being told I "must" do anything by agencies, especially when followed by chiselling away at your prices. I also dislike having to do anything resembling math, and the matches/reps percentage calculations they bombard you with just amount to another waste of precious time IMO.

So, I wouldn't encourage them by giving them the benefit of your services. Life's too short.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tambien Dec 3, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

The point is that it takes me just as long to proofread a high fuzzy match than it takes me to proofread a 0% match. In fact, if the translator was sloppy, it actually takes longer.

Another good reason not to encourage this type of grasping intermediary.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Matches don't reduce the actual work scope. Dec 3, 2011

Germaine wrote:

ElectraV wrote:
When proofreading/reviewing in Tag Editor, do lower rates usually apply for matches and repetitions?? It sounds a bit... over the top.. or not?

And what else? They go to the grocery store and ask the manager to reduce the price of the cherries cause they don't eat the stems and pits?

Thank you for the chuckle, Germaine. Your reason is spot on!

On more than one occassion, and after having struggled with allegedly 100% matches for several minutes, I've found that it was much faster to translate from scratch than to combat with fuzzy matches. Perhaps the agencies that like to chop our prices believe that reading a word/sentence/document takes no time, and I do mean not even one second because they are unwilling to pay for this, for your time.

neilmac wrote:
Sounds all too familiar. I don't do Trados and hate being told I "must" do anything by agencies, especially when followed by chiselling away at your prices. I also dislike having to do anything resembling math, and the matches/reps percentage calculations they bombard you with just amount to another waste of precious time IMO.

IMO as well.

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:04
German to English
+ ...
Whatever next? Dec 3, 2011

Germaine wrote:

ElectraV wrote:

Surely they'd just offer to pay for one cherry since they're all the same?

Seriously though, the OP's scenario is nonsense and anyone who agrees to it is part of the problem.

[Edited at 2011-12-03 14:59 GMT]

ElectraV  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
their answer Dec 3, 2011

Thanks to everybody for their valuable insight, your answers confirmed my initial suspicions!

I sent my quote and made it clear I do not apply lower rates for repetitions because everything has to be reviewed anyway. And I got the following answer:

They respect my point of view but ... Trados indicates if a segment is identical to a previously reviewed segment and, for that reason, all I have to do is go on to the following one... Also, contextual differences are very rare in a project, bla bla bla.

This reminded me of what Samuel said yesterday, which was quite the opposite :

Samuel Murray wrote:

If a CAT tool showed me the original source/target text along with the updated source/target text, and colour-coded the differences so that I could see the differences immediately, then I would be willing to give a revision discount for high matches, if not only the source texts are high fuzzies of each other but the target texts also. But I know of no CAT tool that does that.

So, is there such a thing as a "Trados-match-indicator" when reviewing? What are they talking about?

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:04
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
They don't know what they are talking about Dec 5, 2011

ElectraV wrote:

They respect my point of view but ... Trados indicates if a segment is identical to a previously reviewed segment and, for that reason, all I have to do is go on to the following one...

This is not correct. It is not "all you have to do".
If you edit a segment, the next time the same segment comes up, it will show up as a yellow partial match, but it will not show you what was changed in the target text. You have to check whether the difference is in the source or in the target.
This only happens by the way, if the TM is set up to accept only one translation for each source segment. If the TM is set up to accept multiple translations, then it may not even show up in yellow, it may show up in green, and you would not know you modified the previous instance. (I wrote "may" because it depends on how the penalties are set up, whether you would get a penalty for having multiple translations in the TM for the same source segment.)

The other problem is that if you modify a segment somewhere in the middle of the document, and there are other instances earlier in the document, it is very painful having to go back and fix those for the sake of consistency. Even if you can use search and replace, you usually need to go back and make sure the TM is updated, too, so subsequent repetitions that still need correction would show up as yellow (and not green).
I am not sure this makes sense when reading it, but I can tell you that in my experience, when reviewing in Trados, for most projects, repetitions and fuzzy matches do not save time that would justify a discount.

If the client is not willing to pay for the entire proofeading, I would not take the job.
Katalin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

reviewing : lower rate for matches /repetitions?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search