Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Price for the creation and delivery of a translation memory
Thread poster: Zelma
Zelma  Identity Verified
German to English
Dec 5, 2011

Hello,

a large software comapny has asked me to translate their user handbook (English - German). They want me to quote my prices and want the TM when I am finished with the project. How do I chrage for the creation of the TM? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerely,

Zelma

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 12:29
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
According to my experience, Dec 5, 2011

translation using CAT is a very common requirement. I would not charge any extra amount, use of CAT can be advantageous, either directly or indirectly (you will save time with repetitions and/or improve your CAT skills). Even if you are not willing to translate with CAT, you can always translate your text as usual and hire somebody to postalign original text with translation (I estimate that 10 standard pages can be processed in a hour for a reduced proofreading rate).

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No charge Dec 5, 2011

Personally I've never heard of a charge for creating/delivering a TM. On the contrary, they will be expecting a discount for the use of a CAT tool. When they mention your 'prices' I expect they simply want to know your rate and then discounts for fuzzy matches and repetitions.

[Edited at 2011-12-05 10:21 GMT]

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:29
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TM created by me is my intellectual property Dec 5, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Personally I've never heard of a charge for creating/delivering a TM.

As a translator I have to deliver a translation. TM created by me during the work is my intellectual property. Usually I refuse to deliver it for free.

Sure, the client can post align the original text with your translation. That is his right but he has to do it himself or hire somebody for that. If he wants to get your TM he has to pay extra. How much? I suppose your hourly rate divided into 2,000. In my case it is EUR 0.005 per source word.

Nikita Kobrin

Anne Pinaglia
Netherlands
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
I've definitely seen this Dec 5, 2011

It's not just using a CAT tool as others mentioned, it's about starting a new TM for this client then handing that over to them with the project so they also OWN the TM created.

In fact I just spoke with a company about it. I'm a little confused myself, and I suppose since it isn't any extra effort on my part, I just give the TM to them.

The reason why they want it is that with the TM and suitable CAT tool, they can eliminate the need for a human translator for the next project to be translated, machine translate it with the TM instead and just hire a proofreader (maybe). It is honestly a bit discouraging for me knowing that I'm getting paid once to effectively give the client all they need to never need my - or anyone else's - services again (unless the project is vastly different).

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Your translation is also your intellectual property Dec 5, 2011

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

TM created by me during the work is my intellectual property. Usually I refuse to deliver it for free.

How much more intellectual property does the TM contain that your translation doesn't? I believe the OP is about a TM created especially for this project. All it will have on it is the user handbook.

Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Both a translation and PM should be paid. Dec 5, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

Your translation is also your intellectual property

That's right, Lisa, and that's why I'm paid for my translation. The same concerns the TM created by me and by the TM CAT tool bought for my money.

Both a translation and PM should be paid and each of them has its own price.

Sure, you can give your TM for free as a bonus for yoyr client, it's your right. Some people even agree to work at 0.01 per word to please their clients at the very extreme. I don't...

Nikita Kobrin

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Freebie Dec 5, 2011

If somebody purchases a translation from me, the TM (if requested) comes with it. I prefer not to nickel and dime clients with things like this. The generation of the TM (exporting) takes me about 30 seconds of work, or, say, 2 minutes if I have to clear other translations from it. As to the content, they have already paid for it... I'm not going to charge for 30 seconds of work.
The TM might not contain a couple of minor changes and corrections I might have made during the last proofread, but the client will have to live with that.

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Re: As a translator I have to deliver a translation Dec 5, 2011

As a translator you have to deliver a translation in required format, for example as uncleaned Word document. Of course, you are fully entitled to refuse to make Trados translation, but in my opinion, once you accept requirement for translating in Trados, you should also accept requirement for delivery of uncleaned translated text or directly TM.

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
RE: Both a translation and PM should be paid. Dec 5, 2011

I suppose that you make your translation with software (MS Office, for example), which you also bought for your money. Do you charge your clients with extra fee for MS Word formatting?

For the years I have been using CAT tools I earned much more money owing to the tools than I originally paid for them.

[Edited at 2011-12-05 12:36 GMT]

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I mean that a client has full right Dec 5, 2011

to require that it will not be charged for repeated text. But do not worry, there are still tons of new texts, where created TMs are of limited use. Moreover, you can always charge extra fee for accepting 100% matches from TMs created by another translator (20% is generous, 15% acceptable).

Anne and Paolo wrote:

The reason why they want it is that with the TM and suitable CAT tool, they can eliminate the need for a human translator for the next project to be translated, machine translate it with the TM instead and just hire a proofreader (maybe). It is honestly a bit discouraging for me knowing that I'm getting paid once to effectively give the client all they need to never need my - or anyone else's - services again (unless the project is vastly different).

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
To Farkas Andras Dec 5, 2011

I wonder if you could mention a reason why do you clean your file before the last proofreading instead of after.

Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I work in MemoQ Dec 5, 2011

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

As a translator you have to deliver a translation in required format, for example as uncleaned Word document. Of course, you are fully entitled to refuse to make Trados translation, but in my opinion, once you accept requirement for translating in Trados, you should also accept requirement for delivery of uncleaned translated text or directly TM.

I have to deliver a translation in an agreed format. That's it. What tool I use for that is my business. In my case: I don't like Trado$ and use it very seldom (if ever). Instead I use MemoQ which practically can do anything Trado$ can but in a better way.

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

I suppose that you make your translation with software (MS Office, for example), which you also bought for your money. Do you charge your clients with extra fee for MS Word formatting?

I don't charge my clients extra fee for MS Word formatting for the following reasons:

1) I practically don't use MS Office for translations any more: I work only in MemoQ.

2) I don't do any formatting at all: I simply import MS Word file into MemoQ, translate the text and then export translation back to MS Word file. MemoQ automatically (in most cases) keeps the formatting of the original text in the translation.

Nikita Kobrin

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I don't insist on Trados, Dec 5, 2011

it was just an example. Principally, there is one question:

Do your clients require you to make translation in MemoQ? If yes, they are (in my opinion) also entitled to your TM (or uncleaned file, if such option exists in MemoQ). If they only want MS Word file with kept formatting, you can use software at your own discretion. Simple, isn't?

So, if the asker is required to make translation in CAT, I see no reason to extra charge for creation of TM. Although one could correctly say that translating with CAT is somewhat slower than direct typing, there can be considerable time savings due to repetitions and fuzzy matches. Charging a client for use of specific software (which I would use in any case regardless of client's requirements) seems to be a bit strange. For me, an investment into CAT tool is equal to investment into PC or any other software. It is contained in my prices and I have no reason to charge any extra fee.

quote]Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

I have to deliver a translation in an agreed format. That's it. What tool I use for that is my business. In my case: I don't like Trado$ and use it very seldom (if ever). Instead I use MemoQ which practically can do anything Trado$ can but in a better way.

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

I don't charge my clients extra fee for MS Word formatting for the following reasons:

1) I practically don't use MS Office for translations any more: I work only in MemoQ.

2) I don't do any formatting at all: I simply import MS Word file into MemoQ, translate the text and then export translation back to MS Word file. MemoQ automatically (in most cases) keeps the formatting of the original text in the translation.

Nikita Kobrin [/quote]

Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's my prerogative to chose the instruments Dec 5, 2011

Vladimir Hoffman wrote:

Do your clients require you to make translation in MemoQ?

No, they don't, Vladimir: it's my own choice and preference. Besides I don't allow clients require tools. The only thing they can (and should) require are the file formats in which they want me to deliver the translation. All the rest is my business. I choose the tools exclusively myself. It's my prerogative to chose the instruments I need to do the job.

Similarly when I come to a motor mechanic I never tell him the trade mark of the instruments he has to use to repair my car. I just need a quality repair. The proper instruments for that the mechanic chooses himself...

Nikita Kobrin

[Edited at 2011-12-05 14:25 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for the creation and delivery of a translation memory

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search