Thread poster: Nicole Rodrigues

Nicole Rodrigues  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:57
Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 5, 2011

Dear all,

I just moved to the UK (from Sweden) and I am in the process of moving my operations over here.

I am trying to find out the best way to work as a freelancer here. i.e. Can I invoice as a private person or do I need a company?

Will I need an accountant to begin with? If so, can anyone recommend a trustworthy accountant with experience in working with freelance translators in Edinburgh?

Thank you in advance for you help!

Ki
... See more
Dear all,

I just moved to the UK (from Sweden) and I am in the process of moving my operations over here.

I am trying to find out the best way to work as a freelancer here. i.e. Can I invoice as a private person or do I need a company?

Will I need an accountant to begin with? If so, can anyone recommend a trustworthy accountant with experience in working with freelance translators in Edinburgh?

Kind regards,

Nicole
Collapse

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:57
Italian to English
In memoriam
Accountants in Edinburgh Dec 5, 2011

NicoleRodrigues wrote:

Hi Nicole,

Over the years, I have met several accountants from Edinburgh and if you were to suggest that any of them were untrustworthy, they would probably take you to court

But to solve your practical problem, you could either ask the Edinburgh Citizens Advice Bureau or check recent Edinburgh Proz powwows and ask some of the participants.

Most Prozians are only too willing to help if they can.

Best,

Giles

[Edited at 2011-12-05 21:35 GMT]

Nicole Rodrigues  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 5, 2011

Hi Giles,

Thank you very much for replying to this topic and for your suggestions. I will look into it.

I already had and heard about bad experienced with bad accountants so I have no doubt they are not a myth, but I like to think it was just bad luck and I am sure I will find many professional accountants in the beautiful Edinburgh.

Thank you once again.

Best regards,

... See more
Hi Giles,

Thank you very much for replying to this topic and for your suggestions. I will look into it.

I already had and heard about bad experienced with bad accountants so I have no doubt they are not a myth, but I like to think it was just bad luck and I am sure I will find many professional accountants in the beautiful Edinburgh.

Thank you once again.

Best regards,

Nicole
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Your accountant can be anywhere Dec 6, 2011

Your accountant needn't be in Edinburgh itself, he/she can be anywhere. There is no need at all to meet in person. Mine is 160 miles away.

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Accountant Dec 6, 2011

NicoleRodrigues wrote:

Dear all,

Kind regards,

Nicole

Hi Nicole

I used to be based in Edinburgh, but now live and work in Glasgow, running my own small translation agency, and working as a freelance journalist/translator. I found a new accountant two years ago, via another small business who I share premises with. He is BRILLIANT: reliable, supportive, affordable, trustworthy, smart, informed and always goes beyond the call of duty to assist his clients. I really CANNOT speak highly enough of him. His name is Ian Campbell, and he runs a company called IGC Accounting Ltd. He is based in Glasgow not Edinburgh, but I would say he would be worth the 50 minute train journey. If you want further info, or want his contact details, email me!

Cheers,

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trustworthy accountant in Edinburgh

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search