SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:10
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2011

Hello,

A client has asked me to quote on a project that will involve a small amount of translation work, retyping of translations into a piece of software, and then proofread the screenshots of the typed text. I would also need to type in markers to indicate formatting in the text such as bold type, italics, etc. He has asked me to give a rate per 1000 words, which will include the three types of work: translation, retyping of translations and proofreading of screenshots, and I have
... See more
Hello,

A client has asked me to quote on a project that will involve a small amount of translation work, retyping of translations into a piece of software, and then proofread the screenshots of the typed text. I would also need to type in markers to indicate formatting in the text such as bold type, italics, etc. He has asked me to give a rate per 1000 words, which will include the three types of work: translation, retyping of translations and proofreading of screenshots, and I have no idea how much to charge for this kind of jobs. I am not sure if I should charge retyping and proofreading at my regular rates per word, so I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you.
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:10
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If you have never done it before Dec 8, 2011

It may make more sense to charge per hour as you have no idea how long it's going to take.

Good Luck
Stanislaw

iqcservices  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Simply Dec 8, 2011

charge per hour, indeed. Try to make an educated guess of how much time it will take you.

Good luck.

SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:10
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 9, 2011

I appreciate your help. I also think that charging per hour is the best option and have told this to the client, he is assessing this option.

Thank you and regards!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:10
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per hour Dec 9, 2011

Definitely. The translations you have to type into some software could be terrible work, and you might end up correcting them with no foreseen compensation. Go per hour for the first job of this kind. If the customer has more jobs in the future, you will already know how much time this is taking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project involving translation, retyping and proofreading

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search