https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/213706-project_involving_translation_retyping_and_proofreading.html

Project involving translation, retyping and proofreading
Thread poster: SandraV
SandraV
SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:03
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2011

Hello,

A client has asked me to quote on a project that will involve a small amount of translation work, retyping of translations into a piece of software, and then proofread the screenshots of the typed text. I would also need to type in markers to indicate formatting in the text such as bold type, italics, etc. He has asked me to give a rate per 1000 words, which will include the three types of work: translation, retyping of translations and proofreading of screenshots, and I have
... See more
Hello,

A client has asked me to quote on a project that will involve a small amount of translation work, retyping of translations into a piece of software, and then proofread the screenshots of the typed text. I would also need to type in markers to indicate formatting in the text such as bold type, italics, etc. He has asked me to give a rate per 1000 words, which will include the three types of work: translation, retyping of translations and proofreading of screenshots, and I have no idea how much to charge for this kind of jobs. I am not sure if I should charge retyping and proofreading at my regular rates per word, so I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you.
Collapse

Vladimír Hoffman
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 18:03
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
It resembles to me work with highly structured PowerPoint files Dec 7, 2011

where I rather prefer charging for time spent with the work than for number of characters. Since price per 1000 words is required in your case, then if we consider that the retyping is, say, two times slower than direct translating, I would charge at least 50% of the rate for translation, but 60% would be better. I would also consider hiring an English speaking assistant for the retyping work and paying him/her on hourly basis (I mean that the assistant's hourly rate would be much lower than y... See more
where I rather prefer charging for time spent with the work than for number of characters. Since price per 1000 words is required in your case, then if we consider that the retyping is, say, two times slower than direct translating, I would charge at least 50% of the rate for translation, but 60% would be better. I would also consider hiring an English speaking assistant for the retyping work and paying him/her on hourly basis (I mean that the assistant's hourly rate would be much lower than yours, which could even give you some extra profit). Price for proofreading should be about one quarter of your translation rate.

Naturally, it is only my estimate and situation can be totally different based on used software. Maybe it would be advisable to try to re-type some sample text in the software, measuring a time spent with the work.

Sandra de la Vega wrote:

I am not sure if I should charge retyping and proofreading at my regular rates per word, so I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2011-12-08 01:45 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If you have never done it before Dec 8, 2011

It may make more sense to charge per hour as you have no idea how long it's going to take.

Good Luck
Stanislaw

JAN SNAUWAERT
JAN SNAUWAERT  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Simply Dec 8, 2011

charge per hour, indeed. Try to make an educated guess of how much time it will take you.

Good luck.

SandraV
SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:03
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 9, 2011

I appreciate your help. I also think that charging per hour is the best option and have told this to the client, he is assessing this option.

Thank you and regards!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per hour Dec 9, 2011

Definitely. The translations you have to type into some software could be terrible work, and you might end up correcting them with no foreseen compensation. Go per hour for the first job of this kind. If the customer has more jobs in the future, you will already know how much time this is taking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project involving translation, retyping and proofreading

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »