Thread poster: jenizaha2002
jenizaha2002
jenizaha2002  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:06
German to English
+ ...
Dec 8, 2011

I am not sure what to do, I have a customer in India, whom I did quite a bit of work for back in September. Their payment conditions are 45 days...however, the first time I did work for them was in August, and the payment was 5 days late on October 20th.
I have still not received my payment for work that I did in September (a rather large sum that will help with my children's Christmas), which was due Nov 15, today is December 8, 2011.
Any ideas about what I can do, she keeps promis
... See more
I am not sure what to do, I have a customer in India, whom I did quite a bit of work for back in September. Their payment conditions are 45 days...however, the first time I did work for them was in August, and the payment was 5 days late on October 20th.
I have still not received my payment for work that I did in September (a rather large sum that will help with my children's Christmas), which was due Nov 15, today is December 8, 2011.
Any ideas about what I can do, she keeps promising me that I'll get it....and keeps trying to send me more work....
The next payment is due December 12....
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:06
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Reminders and the Blue Board Dec 8, 2011

Hi Aline,

you could send your client a reminder with an added late payment fee and a due date of "upon receipt".

If your client is listed on the BB here at ProZ or with some other translator platform, you can include your intentions of giving them a negative BB rating if payment does not arrive by the date stipulated. When there's still no reaction and if they indeed have a listing, then make this entry. Usually this helps with late paying clients.

The n
... See more
Hi Aline,

you could send your client a reminder with an added late payment fee and a due date of "upon receipt".

If your client is listed on the BB here at ProZ or with some other translator platform, you can include your intentions of giving them a negative BB rating if payment does not arrive by the date stipulated. When there's still no reaction and if they indeed have a listing, then make this entry. Usually this helps with late paying clients.

The next step would be to announce legal actions.... which will, unfortunately, not get you the money before Christmas.

Best of Luck!

Thayenga
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:06
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Don't do any more work for them Dec 8, 2011

Don't take any more work from them until ALL invoices are settled. I have a policy of not taking more than 2,000 words from any new client and only take new jobs once that first invoice has been paid.

[Edited at 2011-12-08 15:28 GMT]

jenizaha2002
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 8, 2011

Thanks for your replies I have never had this happen to me before.
I guess I am just too trusting. I did send her a few reminders already,
and today I finally told her that I would not be able to accept any more work.
I'll give her another day to reply, and yes, I will put her on the BB, if I don't hear back from her or receive the money soon......
In case of legal actions, if you have any ideas that would
... See more
Thanks for your replies I have never had this happen to me before.
I guess I am just too trusting. I did send her a few reminders already,
and today I finally told her that I would not be able to accept any more work.
I'll give her another day to reply, and yes, I will put her on the BB, if I don't hear back from her or receive the money soon......
In case of legal actions, if you have any ideas that would be great.
But I really don't hope that I have to recourse to that!
Happy Holidays to all of you!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
How long to wait Dec 8, 2011

As we are talking about upaid invoices anyway, how long should I wait until I send my reminder? I have one client now, but I am not sure what is reasonable to everyone.

Agencies in India... Yes...

Gang Li
Gang Li  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do not work for any foreign firms without advance payment or good track record Dec 8, 2011

As I said in the Title. Check out any foreign translation agencies payment track record or demand full advance payment before taking on any work. You may lose the job, but that's the risk I would be fully willing to take.

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oh, good track record Dec 8, 2011

of course. I am not that potty! The only thing is, how long do you have to wait in order to finally send a reminder? It has never happened before but I have an invoice due at the latest on 29/11 and now it is 8/12 and still nothing. Good track record on proz, but they can pay from Hong Kong or from Germany. Germany wuld be straightforward too late, but how long does a payment take from Hong Kong?

Is a reasonable term two weeks?

jenizaha2002
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payments Dec 8, 2011

Oh no, I did check them out on here before I accepted work and they had a good score, everyone had always received their money.
I did receive an email back a few minutes ago saying that the payment had been processed and for me to please be patient (how much longer?)

Kirsten,
when my (favorite) Chinese customer pays me, I either have it the same day through paypal (or the next day),
a bank wire tr
... See more
Oh no, I did check them out on here before I accepted work and they had a good score, everyone had always received their money.
I did receive an email back a few minutes ago saying that the payment had been processed and for me to please be patient (how much longer?)

Kirsten,
when my (favorite) Chinese customer pays me, I either have it the same day through paypal (or the next day),
a bank wire transfer from southern China usually takes about 3 -5 days until it is in my bank account. Just my personal experience...
Collapse

Gang Li
Gang Li  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'd wait a couple of months before sending a reminder, but Dec 8, 2011

that's because I am pretty confident that I would get paid eventually. My payment term is usually net 30-45 days, if I believe the client will pay or if the amount is not substantial.

Abraham Abukar
Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
I have to agree with you. I just choose not to work with them. Dec 8, 2011

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

It is sad but true: be extremely careful and picky when working for agencies registered in India. There are a few exceptions here, but they all prove the rule.

I know that this is a harsh statement, but still, an overwhelming majority of translators would tell you the same thing if asked.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rule number one for a new freelancer Dec 8, 2011

Don't get hungry.

If you get hungry, you will start doing things you will regret later, such as taking on non-payers.

When you are dealing with a customer with a doubtful profile, you should take appropriate risk-reduction measures (e.g. higher rates, easier work, and especially, up-front payment).

Good luck!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Stay close to home Dec 9, 2011

Edward Potter wrote:
Don't get hungry.

If you get hungry, you will start doing things you will regret later, such as taking on non-payers.

My policy is to try to find clients within travelling distance of my own location, in case I ever have recourse to the quaint Spanish tradition of "El Cobrador del Frac" - "The Debt Collector in Top Hat and Tails" – a nationwide operation which sends employees dressed like Hollywood villains to collect debts. To underline the message, the theatrically-clad collector carries a black briefcase with his calling spelled out in capital letters. The aim is to embarrass the defaulters into stumping up and there are several types, the latest being Santas who follow the debtors everywhere...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-payment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »