"translation" between two English varieties
Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 02:42
Jun 9, 2004

hi there,

how much would you charge to convert a document(software products - survey) from AmE to OzEnglish?

i haven't seen the document yet, so i can't be very specific, sorry.

a.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends on what you need to change Jun 9, 2004

munchkin wrote:
How much would you charge to convert a document (software products survey) from AE to OZE?

If you only need to correct the spelling, 1/3 of your translation rate. If you need to change word choice too, 2/3 of your translation rate.

brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
Interesting question Jun 9, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

munchkin wrote:
How much would you charge to convert a document (software products survey) from AE to OZE?

If you only need to correct the spelling, 1/3 of your translation rate. If you need to change word choice too, 2/3 of your translation rate.
I would have thought that in the majority of cases, whether a technical or non-technical text, that such a job would involve changing (read localizing) words and turns of phrases as well as simply "correcting" (your words, not mine!) the spelling. You would still have to "process" the whole text, check out whether the same terms and turns of phrases are actually used in the other variety of English, so there would still be a considerable amount of translating in the pure sense of the word. Having said that, there would of course be a lot which would not demand the same effort and time. Conclusion: I would go for the 2/3 of normal rate suggestion - no less. Does this sound unreasonable to anyone?

[Edited at 2004-06-09 08:51]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:42
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Jun 9, 2004

This could vary so much from one document to another (e.g. a short story might require a lot more work than a technical document) that I think it would be best to charge on a time basis.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends on what the client wants Jun 9, 2004

Brigid Mccauley wrote:
I would have thought that in the majority of cases, whether a technical or non-technical text, that such a job would involve changing (read localizing) words and turns of phrases as well as simply "correcting" (your words, not mine!) the spelling.

It depends on what the client wants. Does the client want the Ozzie reader to get as much benefit from the text as the American reader does, or does he simply want to prevent the Ozzie reader from knowing that he's reading a foreign text?

Obviously you'd change "pepper" to "capsicum", but how many Ozzies wouldn't know what you're on about if you use "cookie" instead of "biscuit"? Does the client want the text to simply have a local feel or does he merely want the text to be locally understood?

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 02:42
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, everyone... Jun 9, 2004

for yr suggestions. As for Samuel's last comment, well, that is the question! I don't know exactly what they want, because they only sent me a quick email. I figure they are mainly interested in getting a quote. But I told them I needed to see the document... We shall see.

Cheers!

a.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"translation" between two English varieties

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search