Thread poster: Cedomir Pusica

Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 11:22
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Feb 27, 2012

How much would you charge for 3 days of consecutive interpreting in Iraq if you are coming from Western Europe?

It is about civil engineering.

Thanks!

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Death Feb 27, 2012

Cedomir Pusica wrote:

How much would you charge for 3 days of consecutive interpreting in Iraq if you are coming from Western Europe?

It is about civil engineering.

Thanks!

Given the current state of affairs in Iraq, I wouldn't even think about going there. You might only need a one-way ticket.

Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Life Insurance Feb 27, 2012

That's why my wife insisted on it huhuhuhuh!

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
get information first. Feb 27, 2012

You need information about security in the part of Iraq that you'll be in. Not fearmongering.

And unless you're going to the Kurdish part, you need to know your detailed itinerary and security arrangements. Seek information with the Foreign Ministry of Serbia or of any country for that matter (except the the U.S. State Department, which may be, well, internally conflicted when it comes to discussing Iraq).

This looks like a credible source:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/iraq

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Zone

and many other sources.

If your client provides expensive security arrangements (or if you're going to Kurdistan), this could be a fantastic opportunity, one that you may not be afforded in your lifetime. Iraq is a truly fascinating country where you'll meet scores of friendly, thoroughly interesting and educated people.

[Edited at 2012-02-27 19:54 GMT]

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:22
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Insurance Feb 27, 2012

That's why my wife insisted on it huhuhuhuh!

Make sure it covers losses due to war, terrorism, civil unrest, etc., as these are typical exclusions in standard policies.

Sounds like it might be an interesting opportunity, though. Certainly my interest could be piqued for the right (large) amount of money. It's tough to consider from the standpoint of a "normal rate" for that kind of work. Much would depend on your personal tolerance for risk. I'd probably approach it from the standpoint of what multiple of my usual earnings for the period would be an acceptable risk premium. Some people might do it just for the adventure. Others wouldn't do it at any price. Most will fall somewhere in between.

[Edited at 2012-02-27 20:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting in Iraq

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search