Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:46
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 28, 2012

I just received an email today from Moneybookers and wanted to warn everybody.
They are changing their terms for Merchant Accounts as of April 27.
If you found yourself in the situation like I did a few years ago, when they unilaterally reclassified my account as a "merchant" account and raised all subsequent transaction fees without even letting me know, and without any option for me to object, you may not be surprised by this recent move. Read on.

Here is the line in that email that caught my attention (bold emphasis is mine):

Fees: We have introduced a monthly Merchant Service Fee for inactivity. There will be no other changes to the fees associated with your Skrill (Moneybookers) Merchant Account.

I have not used my Moneybookers account since 2008 (since they have changed my account type, as I said), but kept it in case I needed it as a last resort, if a client would not be able to pay otherwise. I did not need to rely on it at all, other payment methods worked.
Now, with this new "service fee" - which by the way is not explained anywhere in their terms and conditions page or fees page, I just checked, (again, not a surprise) - there is no point for me to keep the account, in fact, it would be outright stupid.
So, I just called their customer service to close it, and they promised to do it right away, and also, that I would get a confirmation email. This was a half hour ago, no email yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to advise everyone in the same situation to check this out and make an informed decision.

Katalin

Update: An hour after my phonecall, I received the confirmation email that they closed the account. I am finally free!!! Yeey!

[Módosítva: 2012-02-28 18:17 GMT]

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:46
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ridiculous policy Feb 29, 2012

That is an insane policy and I am not sure that it really holds water legally.

A contract requires the consent of both parties. For one party unilaterally to change the terms does not make it so. I would suggest dropping Moneybookers simply for their shodding handling of the situation.

I think anyone suddenly faced with demands for payment for "inactivity" should challenge it.

[Edited at 2012-02-29 11:42 GMT]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Closing your Moneybookers Account... Feb 29, 2012

I haven't used my account in over 4 years, and I only kept it open just in case. Even if you don't have a merchant account, they are imposing an inactivity fee for personal accounts (even if it's only 1 EUR per month after 6 months of inactivity, it's not worth the hassle for me since I'd have to fund the account in the first place since my balance is zero).

I've just closed my account; you don't even need to contact them to do so, just click on the option "Email support" on the left main menu, then "Account and Security" and you'll find an option there to close the account immediately.

Personally, I'm sorry to shut that door, but for a service I keep just in case it's not worth the hassle to check how the situation develops. Plus, a change of this magnitude without proper communication on their side it's just a no-no in my book (perhaps they mean to alert you before the 6-month period expires, but... I'd rather not find out).

Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Is it possible Mar 1, 2012

Dear colleagues,
Is it possible to avoid the monthly charge by sending even a few cents to a friend's account during the six month period?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Only applies to merchant acconts Mar 1, 2012

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:
I just received an email today from Moneybookers and wanted to warn everybody.
They are changing their terms for Merchant Accounts as of April 27.

Yes, I've heard about this on other forums as well, though not everyone is as careful as you to mention that this applies only to *merchant accounts* (which most translators don't have).

I'm sorry that you were upgraded to merchant account against your will -- I have not been, despite having had quite a few large payments via MB in the past.

What steps did you take to convert your account to to a consumer account?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On legality Mar 1, 2012

Paul Lambert wrote:
That is an insane policy and I am not sure that it really holds water legally.

Of course it holds water. If your agreement with another party states that they can change the agreement at any time, then they can change it. Remember, this relates to a service which you continue to use -- i.e. if they change the agreement, then you are free to stop using the service.

I think this idea of "we can change the rules of the service at any time, and you are free to choose whether to continue to use the serivice after that" is quite common in online services.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting! Mar 1, 2012

I think I am going to raise the rates to any customer who does not order something in three months and charge them a fee for not ordering anything. Great! Way to progress!!icon_wink.gif

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Catch-22 Mar 1, 2012

Thanks for the warning, Katalin.

I haven't used my MB account for about 2 years and during that time I moved to a new home and changed my ISP.

As a result I can no longer log in to MB because it needs my old email address. I no longer have internet access through my previous ISP.

I can't tell MB to use my new email address because to change it I would need to log in with the old one.

Result: I will never be able to terminate my MB account and MB will forever deduct money from my account.

Any suggestions as to how I might get around this catch-22?

[Edited at 2012-03-01 09:30 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@ Tom Mar 1, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

As a result I can no longer log in to MB because it needs my old email address. I no longer have internet access through my previous ISP.

Hi Tom,

You just need to type your old email address and then give the password to log in. Even if you can no longer access your email account, you should be able to log in on MB.

I am not sure whether you can add a new email address though - you may need to have access to the account of your previously registered email address, as they may send a confirmation link there.

If you can log in, you contact MB staff using the "Email support" could possibly send them a message through "Email support" to clarify the situation.

Best,
Attila

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Attila Mar 1, 2012

I tried that but get a message that my account has been locked "for security reasons" and a request to retrieve my password by inputting my email address - but they won't be able to reply because the only email address they'll recognise is the one that doesn't work !

I've found a postal address, in London UK, and will try writing to them by snail mail.

[Edited at 2012-03-01 10:16 GMT]

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Not quite... Mar 1, 2012

though not everyone is as careful as you to mention that this applies only to *merchant accounts* (which most translators don't have).

As I mentioned earlier, it's EUR 19.95 for merchant accounts and EUR 1 for personal accounts... but apparently the later is only for not accessing the account in 18 months instead of for not performing a transaction. Still, a hassle, and without the mandatory courtesy email... well, I'm out.

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Tom - call them Mar 1, 2012

Tom,
I think your best bet is to call them on the phone.
Since my account is closed, when I try to log in, I get this message, and I think this info is just what you need:
"Your account is closed. If you wish to reopen your account, please call our customer service team on +44 870 383 0232 . "
Katalin

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Samuel Mar 1, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
I'm sorry that you were upgraded to merchant account against your will -- I have not been, despite having had quite a few large payments via MB in the past.

What steps did you take to convert your account to to a consumer account?

My purpose with posting the original message was simply to inform people, especially those that may not get the email from Moneybookers (see Tom's case, for example), so that would be informed and could take whatever steps they seem fit.

As to what happened with my MB account 4 years ago, I wrote about it back then, and since then more than once in other threads, you can search for them.
Here is a link to one post that gives more details.
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/113305-paypal_or_moneybookers.html#925790

And another thread where others also recount their similar experiences:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/171404-moneybookers_commercial_account_for_freelancing.html#1512355

Katalin

[Módosítva: 2012-03-01 14:28 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No thanks Mar 1, 2012

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Tom,
I think your best bet is to call them on the phone.

No thanks Katalin - on a premium rate number? And be ripped off again? No way! 0870 numbers can cost 10p a minute or more, and the people who use them often have automated reply systems that force you to wait on the line for a long time - before you even get to speak to a person. A 10-minute call would cost £1.00 or more.

[Edited at 2012-03-01 22:21 GMT]

United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was just trying to help Mar 1, 2012

Tom,
I do not live in the UK, so I did not know about special rate phone numbers.
I was just trying to help.
My experience is that it may take a long time to get a response to an email, and snail mail can take even longer or literally forever.
Katalin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moneybookers (Skrill) is changing its terms and conditions - new inactivity fee

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search