Localization vs translation rates
Thread poster: dimailer
dimailer
Local time: 08:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 6, 2012

I am translating a web-based application, which I agreed to do at the same rate I charge for texts.

Now I feel it takes me visibly longer because I have to go back and forth between the translation and the application to check on the context.

Do you charge more for localization than for translation, and if yes, how much more?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
* Mar 6, 2012

dimailer wrote:

I am translating a web-based application, which I agreed to do at the same rate I charge for texts.

Now I feel it takes me visibly longer because I have to go back and forth between the translation and the application to check on the context.

Do you charge more for localization than for translation, and if yes, how much more?

Thank you.

What is the format of the text you are translating? If it's simple word/excel it's still translation, not localization. Localization starts when you need to put the words in some specific types of file or applications. For example if you need to put your translations into the texts like this:

[font size="1" color="green"]Note: Your title should summarize your main point.[/font]

That would be localization. For this type of work you can try to charge more if you dare. so.

[Edited at 2012-03-06 23:32 GMT]

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:06
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A bit of confusion Mar 7, 2012

I think you are a bit confused on what localization and translation are.

Localization consists of translating a text to adapt it to a specific country, so if you translate a web site into English you would then localize it for US English or UK English.

Localization does not entail switching back and forth between an application to check context or formatting or placing the text inside "code".

As regards charging more for this I would not suggest doing so as it seems to me this problem has happened due to what I believe is your lack of experience in website translation (I am only saying this because you don't seem to understand the term "localization" so that leads me to believe you don't have much experience translating websites, if that's not the case I apologize for the assumption) and not really knowing what you were quoting when you agreed to do the job.

I would put this down as a learning experience for next time you have to do a similar job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization vs translation rates

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search