New low for end-client rates
Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2012

A while ago, an end-client used this site to attract freelancers for translation of tourism related content (EN-DU). This company had a lot of requirements, including a declaration of independent contractor status (VAR) and a test translation of 381 words in the target language. It turned out that they are only willing to pay € 0.03 per source word (no match) with a 60% discount for fuzzies. Incredible, this must be a new low for end-clients! If you want to know the name, please send me a PM.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:14
English to French
+ ...
Don't even let them tell you their rates Mar 16, 2012

Whenever a translation agency asks for a free test, I send my resume, and ask them to review my rates first, and decide if they agree with them.
This way, I haven't done a free test for a very long time, and I don't even learn how low they are willing to pay. Who wants to know? Not me, at least.
A "new low" does not mean anything. Surely, there have been other translators who have been paid less than that, and - to begin with - all translators who have not been paid at all.
The only interesting strategy is how to shun these agencies as much as possible.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partly my fault, but Mar 17, 2012

bohy wrote:

Whenever a translation agency asks for a free test, I send my resume, and ask them to review my rates first, and decide if they agree with them.
This way, I haven't done a free test for a very long time, and I don't even learn how low they are willing to pay. Who wants to know? Not me, at least.
A "new low" does not mean anything. Surely, there have been other translators who have been paid less than that, and - to begin with - all translators who have not been paid at all.
The only interesting strategy is how to shun these agencies as much as possible.


Yes bohy, I know about agency's low rates, but for an end-client I think this is a new low!

I had already given them my quote of € 0.12 (minimum), upon which they sent me the translation test, so I thought they had accepted it - my bad. I won't make that mistake again.

[Edited at 2012-03-17 01:33 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:14
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
An alternative... Mar 17, 2012

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:
I had already given them my quote of € 0.12 (minimum), upon which they sent me the translation test, so I thought they had accepted it - my bad. I won't make that mistake again.


At this rate, do they include a free trip to the destination they are promoting in your translation?

I would suggest that you add some samples of your work to your profile. Whenever I'm asked for a test (via Proz mail), the answer is "Please, refer to my profile..." Sometimes (for a direct client), I add a link to both English and French versions of a recent public document I have translated, but it ends there.

[Edited at 2012-03-17 04:13 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:14
Member
English to German
+ ...
Sorry, but you will not be entered into the Guinness Book of Records. Mar 17, 2012

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

A while ago, an end-client used this site to attract freelancers for translation of tourism related content (EN-DU). This company had a lot of requirements, including a declaration of independent contractor status (VAR) and a test translation of 381 words in the target language. It turned out that they are only willing to pay € 0.03 per source word (no match) with a 60% discount for fuzzies. Incredible, this must be a new low for end-clients! If you want to know the name, please send me a PM.


Sorry, but you will not be entered into the Guinness Book of Records, because Marian Popa has already stated on 03/08/2012 that he has been offered USD 0.008 per source word (http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/220121-would_you_work_for_this_rate.html#1908305).

Cheers,

Marina

P.S. Had to edit my post, because the link would not work. You have to click on #Link, you know...

[Edited at 2012-03-17 06:24 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:14
French to German
+ ...
Nothing new under the sun... Mar 17, 2012

I know of some end clients who are in the same range (meaning, much below the "critical" 0.10 € per source word).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 17, 2012

bohy wrote:

The only interesting strategy is how to shun these agencies as much as possible.


I'd go even further than "shunning" if permitted ...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 21:14
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Critical Mar 17, 2012

0.10 per word? Quite funny. In Slovakia, even certified translators charge € 0.8 per word (statutory minimum level) to direct clients for certified translation. On the other hand, such comparisons are meaningless, if we do not take into consideration average wage in a country.

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I know of some end clients who are in the same range (meaning, much below the "critical" 0.10 € per source word).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:14
French to German
+ ...
? Mar 17, 2012

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

0.10 per word? Quite funny. In Slovakia, even certified translators charge € 0.8 per word (statutory minimum level) to direct clients for certified translation. On the other hand, such comparisons are meaningless, if we do not take into consideration average wage in a country.

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I know of some end clients who are in the same range (meaning, much below the "critical" 0.10 € per source word).


Eighty eurocents per word for certified translations?
The rate paid by the French Ministry of Justice is 0.10 € ex VAT per French word and it has been that way since 2008.

I don't take this rate as being "critical" from an objective point of view, but rather as a reference to what our colleague Chris Durban wrote here and elsewhere, namely that a rate with a 0 after the decimal separator was not to be considered as a professional one.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 21:14
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I highly apologize, Mar 17, 2012

of course it is EUR 0.08, i.e. eight eurocents per word.


Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

0.10 per word? Quite funny. In Slovakia, even certified translators charge € 0.8 per word (statutory minimum level) to direct clients for certified translation. On the other hand, such comparisons are meaningless, if we do not take into consideration average wage in a country.

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I know of some end clients who are in the same range (meaning, much below the "critical" 0.10 € per source word).


Eighty eurocents per word for certified translations?
The rate paid by the French Ministry of Justice is 0.10 € ex VAT per French word and it has been that way since 2008.

I don't take this rate as being "critical" from an objective point of view, but rather as a reference to what our colleague Chris Durban wrote here and elsewhere, namely that a rate with a 0 after the decimal separator was not to be considered as a professional one.


[Edited at 2012-03-17 09:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-17 09:35 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New low for end-client rates

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search