SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:18
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 30, 2012

Hello,

A client has sent me some screens with text. He asked me to translate them in a Word document with two columns, on the left side I should type the English texts on the screen, and on the right one the translation of those texts.
My question is if I should charge my regular translation rate for typing the words in English, besides the translation of the texts, i.e., include the English words typed in my total word count at my regular translation rate or should I charge those at a different price.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
A typist Mar 30, 2012

Two solutions:

1.- The client has a typist type up the screens and sends it to you.

2.- You have a typist type up the screens and pass the cost on to the cllient, which should be much less than your cost.

We don't pay physicians to empty bedpans; we have lower paid assistants to handle those tasks; and we do not pay translators to be typists.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:18
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Can you retype faster than you translate and type? Mar 30, 2012

Sandra de la Vega wrote:

Hello,

A client has sent me some screens with text. He asked me to translate them in a Word document with two columns, on the left side I should type the English texts on the screen, and on the right one the translation of those texts.
My question is if I should charge my regular translation rate for typing the words in English, besides the translation of the texts, i.e., include the English words typed in my total word count at my regular translation rate or should I charge those at a different price.

Thanks.

A "fast" non-professional touch typist can probably do what - 30-40 wpm? In any case, simple typing productivity probably exceeds translation capacity by a wide margin, even for the fastest translators, although you'll probably be a little bit slower typing a non-native language.

In that light, some discount is probably in order.

You might take a paragraph, translate for a minute, then re-type the source for a minute and see the differential in time. That should give you an idea of a suitable discount.

Offhand, 50% of the translation word rate for the re-keying would probably include a comfortable margin for you, while still sounding pretty substantial to the customer

Have you tried OCRing the screen grabs?

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:18
Member (2009)
French to English
Hourly rate Mar 30, 2012

You should have an hourly rate established either for editing or miscellaneous assignments like this. If not, you should be able to develop one by taking your Translation rate per word x Average number of words translated per hour. Use this rate any time you are asked to do formatting or anything that will take you more than ~10% longer than a standard translation.

Ex: I can do this for you, but I will need to charge $50/hr for 1-2 hours for the formatting in addition to my standard usual translation rate.

That makes it clear that you are being paid for your time and that the work requested does not fall under translation. You can also use your own discretion here. If you are being asked to do something that will take less than an hour on a weeklong project, I would just include it as a courtesy.

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
* Mar 30, 2012

Sandra de la Vega wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

If there is not too much text to type, I could probably do it gratis. Otherwise, I would probably charge one cent per word or even 0.5 cent per word. But all those details should be agreed before starting the job.

[Edited at 2012-03-30 22:52 GMT]

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 05:18
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I always charge full rate Mar 30, 2012

for legends of pictures. If a client doesn't want to be charged for words in source language (which he ordered to be typed), he should arrange the typing by himself. But I have never experienced any complaints or hesitations in this matter.

Sandra de la Vega wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
I agree, but I would (and did) Mar 30, 2012

charge a full rate to a client. How I can cope with translation and whether I hire someone to help me with a translation or supporting tasks, is only my business. I deliver final product for agreed rate. Point.

Henry Hinds wrote:

2.- You have a typist type up the screens and pass the cost on to the cllient, which should be much less than your cost.

Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Actually, if I had Mar 30, 2012

to compare between translating a plain text and rewriting words in source language, originally disseminated on large screenshot, I would find the latter much more annoying and probably also more time-consuming. Therefore, I do not understand why I should charge less than the full translation rate.

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Sandra de la Vega wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

If there is not too much text too type, I could probably do it gratis. Otherwise, I would probably chanrge one cent per word or even 0.5 cent per word. But all those details should be agreed before starting the job.

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:18
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Another option Mar 31, 2012

Sandra de la Vega wrote:
A client has sent me some screens with text. He asked me to translate them in a Word document with two columns, on the left side I should type the English texts on the screen...

I also offer typing services, so I would charge my usual rate for that part of the job. Nevertheless, I would tell the client that it would cost a lot less to simply format the text if he were to copy-paste the screen content in a Word document (simple: select or CTRL-A, CTRL-C, open a Word document, CTRL-V, save). In your case, since it seems that you only offer translation services, I agree with others: it's your translation (hourly) rate that applies. Again, I would advise the client of the consequences of his choices...

Texte Style
French to English
I'm a translator not a typist Mar 31, 2012

If I have to type out the source text then I charge per word, same rate as the translation.

If they don't like it they can find someone else to type it. The time I spend typing it I could be translating or enjoying life, which are both important to me. It's not as hard as translating, but I find it far more boring. I chose to be a translator because that's what I find interesting, and I don't see why I should be made to do other tasks.

I could of course hire a typist but hiring a typist when I don't usually use one would also take time and be a source of stress to me: discussing rates, availability, then waiting for the work to be delivered, and then what do I do if it's badly typed? So then I would have to submit the typed text to the client for them to approve it, which also takes time...

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
Italian to English
OCR Mar 31, 2012

I certainly wouldn't type these out without fair payment.

My first step, however, would be to see if a text document could be produced with OCR and reformatted if necessary.

Sometimes this only takes a minute or two.

It's the sort of "can do" approach that makes clients come back.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different rate for typing screen texts?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search