What do you think of 0.045 EUR for Chinese > English / source character?
Thread poster: zhanglang
zhanglang
Local time: 13:48
Mar 31, 2012

What do you think of a CH-EN rate offer of 0.045 euro cents per source character? I'm quite new so I don't know that much about the market but it sounds a bit low maybe. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:48
Russian to English
+ ...
* Mar 31, 2012

zhanglang wrote:

What do you think of a CH-EN rate offer of 0.045 euro cents per source character? I'm quite new so I don't know that much about the market but it sounds a bit low maybe. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks


I heard that they don't use "characters" in Chinease and have hieroglyphs instead?

Do you mean 0.045 euro cents per one hieroglyph?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2009)
French to English
Not quite Mar 31, 2012

The Chinese language uses characters instead of letters. I have only heard the term hieroglyph used to describe the ancient Egyptian language. However, this is getting us a bit off topic. You can look here: http://search.proz.com/employers/rates to see the average rates reported in any language pair. Although the description says "word," I would interpret this to mean character for Chinese. Remember to take these rates with a grain of salt as this is a self-reported measurement of one part of the translation market.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 14:48
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
0.045 per character Mar 31, 2012

would be USD 0,32 per word (or USD 81 per standard page), which is rate nobody sane will be wlling to pay. If we are talking about USD 0.045 - well I received (not accepted) much lower offers from Chinesse agencies in my language combination. So, it depends.



zhanglang wrote:

What do you think of a CH-EN rate offer of 0.045 euro cents per source character? I'm quite new so I don't know that much about the market but it sounds a bit low maybe. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dariush Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
0.045 seems a bit low. Apr 1, 2012

Saying as your status says your based in the UK, I'll talk about this is pounds as well as euros.

If your calculating how many Chinese characters (and not Egyptian hieroglyphs) you're translating into English, and if you're working with an agency, you should be expecting anything higher than 0.06 euros, which will be around 0.05 GBP per character translated. If you're working directly with the client, then it would be higher... depending on your negotiating skills.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:48
Chinese to English
You can get higher Apr 1, 2012

As Dariush says. Rates run the full gamut from one US cent per character up to decent rates of 15 cents, and everything in between. You just have to find a level that you can achieve and be happy with.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nemo Cheung  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
vvvvvvvvvvvvery high in China Apr 1, 2012

The rate I would say differs between an international project and a domestic (China) project.
Usually, when we do the international one, the rate is a little bit higher than the domestic one, coz the international standard rate is higher, especially when in USD.

0.045euro per Chinese character may not be bad actually. You see, 0.045 ero =RMB 0.3782.

0.3782 yuan per source Chiense character is vvvvvvvvvvvvery high in China. Trust me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What formula did you use to calculate it? Apr 1, 2012

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

would be USD 0,32 per word (or USD 81 per standard page), which is rate nobody sane will be wlling to pay. If we are talking about USD 0.045 - well I received (not accepted) much lower offers from Chinesse agencies in my language combination. So, it depends.



zhanglang wrote:

What do you think of a CH-EN rate offer of 0.045 euro cents per source character? I'm quite new so I don't know that much about the market but it sounds a bit low maybe. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks


I tried many different ways to calculate it but still didn't get the number you have got, i.e. $0.32 per word.

Also, someone willing to pay USD0.32 is not insane. A lot of direct clients pay higher than that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 14:48
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
In my country, one standard page Apr 1, 2012

has 1800 characters (30 lines per 60 character). One standard page consists of approximately 250 words. So, 0,045*1800 = 81, 81/250 = USD 0,324 per word.

One standard page can be translated in a hour. I would love to earn USD 80 per hour, but it is really very unusual. Actually, I have never ever heard about such translation rate.


jyuan_us wrote:

Vladimír Hoffman wrote:

would be USD 0,32 per word (or USD 81 per standard page), which is rate nobody sane will be wlling to pay. If we are talking about USD 0.045 - well I received (not accepted) much lower offers from Chinesse agencies in my language combination. So, it depends.



zhanglang wrote:

What do you think of a CH-EN rate offer of 0.045 euro cents per source character? I'm quite new so I don't know that much about the market but it sounds a bit low maybe. Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks


I tried many different ways to calculate it but still didn't get the number you have got, i.e. $0.32 per word.

Also, someone willing to pay USD0.32 is not insane. A lot of direct clients pay higher than that.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Melissa Dedina  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Czech to English
+ ...
characters Apr 1, 2012

jyuan_us is talking about Chinese characters, where each character represents a word or part of a word (sorry if that's not quite correct - I don't speak Chinese!)

Vladimír Hoffman is talking about characters in the Latin alphabet, meaning letters, punctuation marks, spaces...because in our language pairs prices are usually calculated by standard page, made up of 1800 'characters' including spaces. Depending on language this can be maybe 250 - 300 words.

That's where this is all falling apart.

Vladimír, the prices under discussion are for "hieroglyphs", as you put it, though in English "hieroglyphs" only refers to Egyptian hieroglyphs, as mentioned. Chinese uses "characters".

jyuan_us, I'm pretty sure the .32 would apply if you were talking about "characters" on a standard page, i.e. letters and spaces, which would indeed be a high - though not unheard of - price. Though I haven't done the math to verify that.

That said, I don't know the Chinese market at all and can't provide advice on that front...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 14:48
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Thank you for exact analysis! Apr 1, 2012

Just for correctness - hieroglyphs is term used by Alexander.

Melissa Dedina wrote:

Vladimír, the prices under discussion are for "hieroglyphs", as you put it, though in English "hieroglyphs" only refers to Egyptian hieroglyphs, as mentioned. Chinese uses "characters".



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Melissa Dedina  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
Czech to English
+ ...
oops! Apr 1, 2012

Oh, of course! I'm sorry, this is what happens when I don't go back and check names. Sorry, Vladimír.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lu Wang
Local time: 21:48
Chinese to English
+ ...
Low but not unacceptable Apr 1, 2012

I charged 0.10 US dollars ten years ago, dating back in 1998 or so. At that time one dollar was more than 8 RMB. Now that the rate is 6, I charge 0.13. I translate patents. But if you translate some general stuff, you have to accept much lower pay.
Character/word? A word might sometimes consist of two or more characters.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
zhanglang
Local time: 13:48
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 2, 2012

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll maybe try a bit of negotiation- after all, the UK is rather more expensive than China!

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think of 0.045 EUR for Chinese > English / source character?

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search