Thread poster: Ditte Duclert

Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:27
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2012

I was offered a transcription project the other day. My (new) client says that it's 25 minutes long and offeres a rate per audio hour. I download the file and when I hear it I immediately hear that the audio file has been shortened by speeding it up. I told my client that it was hard to make out the words and that the audio quality was poor because of this and that I wouldn't take the job.

Today my client sent me the file again and it's suddenly twice as long. He says that his client managed to improve the file.

Now, what to do? The offered rate isn't poor (anymore, seeing as I will be getting paid twice the amount) and the audio quality is ok. But do I realy want to be working with someone who's willing to do that kind of thing to save money?

What would you do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Lundberg  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
it depends on their reputation Apr 4, 2012

Check them out on the blue board and see if you can find any complaints about payment, if not, go ahead! That's what I would do.

Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not on Blue Board Apr 4, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I don't know why I hadn't thought about checking the BB myself.

They're not there... So I'm not much further

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Do this job Apr 4, 2012

a do not continue in cooperation. There is no reason, either practical or moral, to refuse money. They tried to cheat you, you managed to protect yourself (congratulations to perfectly managed communication. No accussation of cheating, just poor quality. I like it) so they are the one lost. Neverthless, I would insist on good contract or at least detailed PO.

Of course, long-term cooperation is different matter.

Ditte Duclert wrote:

I was offered a transcription project the other day. My (new) client says that it's 25 minutes long and offeres a rate per audio hour. I download the file and when I hear it I immediately hear that the audio file has been shortened by speeding it up. I told my client that it was hard to make out the words and that the audio quality was poor because of this and that I wouldn't take the job.

Today my client sent me the file again and it's suddenly twice as long. He says that his client managed to improve the file.

Now, what to do? The offered rate isn't poor (anymore, seeing as I will be getting paid twice the amount) and the audio quality is ok. But do I realy want to be working with someone who's willing to do that kind of thing to save money?

What would you do?

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
End client Apr 4, 2012

For those with optimistic tendencies, there is always the possibility that it was the end client who speeded up the segment, and that the P.m. knew nothing about it.

Spain
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
End client Apr 4, 2012

It turns out it was the end client who sent the initial file, and I definitely believe the agency. I decided to take on the job. They sent me a PO and everything seems fine now.
But thanks for your thoughts!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometmes it's unintentional Apr 4, 2012

Maybe a WAV file was too heavy to send via e-mail, so they converted it to MP3. I've seen some low-grade freeware converters that double the speed in this process without any sensible reason. So it's possible that this faulty conversion was just an accident, no slick tricks intended.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
German to English
+ ...
Blue Board Apr 4, 2012

Since the co. is not on the Blue Bord yet, why don't you enter it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription double speed

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search