Rates for localization testing
Thread poster: Sophie Kerman

Sophie Kerman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:17
French to English
Apr 4, 2012

I am being asked to quote an hourly rate for a project that doesn't involve translation, but just testing of a medical software product as if I were a French consumer, and taking screenshots of potential errors. (It would also involve being trained in the software, but not necessarily much in the way of medical knowledge.)

Any idea of what one might charge for such a project (USD is helpful)? I am not sure what the going rate is for this kind of product testing.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:17
Russian to English
+ ...
* Apr 4, 2012

sophiekerman wrote:

I am being asked to quote an hourly rate for a project that doesn't involve translation, but just testing of a medical software product as if I were a French consumer, and taking screenshots of potential errors. (It would also involve being trained in the software, but not necessarily much in the way of medical knowledge.)

Any idea of what one might charge for such a project (USD is helpful)? I am not sure what the going rate is for this kind of product testing.

Thanks!

I think 40 usd per hour will be ok.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:17
English to French
+ ...
Anything the market can bear Apr 4, 2012

... is the right answer, as usual.

Note to self: Hypotheticall speaking, if I were the webmaster of Proz, especially if Proz was headquertered in the USA (good thing neither is true), I would be VERY worried of people in the USA using my web site to discuss rates, since the Federal Trade Commission, or just plain other translators, might think of this as price fixing. Just like what happened to the American Translators Association, a few years ago.

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:17
English to Russian
+ ...
May not be worth your while Apr 4, 2012

Maybe it's just my own bad experience, but every time I was invited to participate in such projects, the rates of pay offered were, ahem, janitorial.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Really? Apr 5, 2012

JL01 wrote:

... if I were the webmaster of Proz, especially if Proz was headquertered in the USA (good thing neither is true)

Ahem...
http://www.proz.com/about/
Office locations
ProZ.com headquarters
P.O. Box 903
Syracuse, NY 13201
USA
+1-315-463-7323

I would be VERY worried of people in the USA using my web site to discuss rates, since the Federal Trade Commission, or just plain other translators, might think of this as price fixing. Just like what happened to the American Translators Association, a few years ago.

Well, people publish their rates in their ProZ.com profiles. Sometimes agencies publish their rates on their websites. Nobody thinks that is price fixing. I think the ATA case was different.

But this is off-topic, anyway.

Katalin

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Your hourly rate Apr 5, 2012

I think the most logical thing is to charge your normal hourly rate. That is what you would charge for editing, proofreading, formatting or any work that cannot be quantified in other units. That is what you consider your time is worth, whatever you are working on, so there you go, that is your rate.
Sometimes people think they should charge less, just because it "does not involve translation", but that is the wrong way of thinking.
If you think about it, your hourly rate is is what you would earn if you used your time doing your regular type of projects, so by doing the testing, that is what you may be missing out on.
Nobody can give you the appropriate figure, only you can figure it out.
The only thing to be careful about is that sometimes the client will have a predefined number of hours they think the project would take, and it may turn out to be a lot more time consuming. So, before you agree to any time limits, make sure you know what it is about, and assess whether the estimation is realistic.

Good luck
Katalin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for localization testing

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search