Charge for translation of personal statement
Thread poster: Mariam Abdullah
Apr 6, 2012

Do you charge a different rate for translating personal statements, certificates, etc?? What if the client expects to get a text that is edited, proofread and ready to be submitted?? The language that I'm going to be translating the personal statement into is not my mother tongue "English." Should I suggest that the client have the personal statement revised by a native speaker before submitting??

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:31
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hourly rate Apr 6, 2012

Mariam Abdullah wrote:

Do you charge a different rate for translating personal statements, certificates, etc?? What if the client expects to get a text that is edited, proofread and ready to be submitted?? The language that I'm going to be translating the personal statement into is not my mother tongue "English." Should I suggest that the client have the personal statement revised by a native speaker before submitting??

Since certificates etc. need to be formatted to look exactly like the original and this takes extra time, I charge an hourly rate. It is up to you to find a native speaker to proofread it, so that you can deliver a finished product to the client. You could calculate the cost of this into your cost estimate for the client, for example by adding an extra hour.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:31
Chinese to English
Worth considering that you may be abetting fraud Apr 6, 2012

Personal statement as in for a university application? I believe those are supposed to be written by the applicant him/herself.
If you are comfortable doing this translation, I think you should point out to the client that most translations (especially those done by translators working into their second language) read like translations. The university may well work out that this statement was translated, and they could reject the application on those grounds.

Mariam Abdullah
TOPIC STARTER
Indicate it is a translation Apr 8, 2012

Do you think it is ok to point out that this is a translation??
Will it affect the client's chances of getting accepted?
I see that a lot of people apply to take their masters from an English speaking country and they don't know English (they first study the language before starting their masters program). How would these people have applied and got accepted if they didn't submit a translated personal statement?

[Edited at 2012-04-08 04:29 GMT]

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:31
Italian to English
Facsimile or forgery? Apr 8, 2012

Tina Vonhof wrote:
certificates etc. need to be formatted to look exactly like the original and this takes extra time,

I was quite proud of my ability to do this but was rather deflated last month when my best client asked me not to do so.

Their local court had commented that they didn't like the practice as it made the certificate look like a forgery.

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Right... Apr 9, 2012

Mariam Abdullah wrote:
I see that a lot of people apply to take their masters from an English speaking country and they don't know English (they first study the language before starting their masters program). How would these people have applied and got accepted if they didn't submit a translated personal statement?

[Edited at 2012-04-08 04:29 GMT]

As far as I know the personal statement is for applying for a BA. When applying for a Masters programme the applicant is called for an interview. If the applicant lives abroad, the interview may be conducted over the phone and they will also be required to submit documentation attesting to their knowledge of English (IELTS test, etc.).

You cannot get accepted on any programme if you do not speak English!!

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Money talks ♫♪♫♪ Dirty cash I want you, dirty cash I need you, woh-oh Apr 9, 2012

You cannot get accepted on any programme if you do not speak English!!

Theoretically yes, but money talks, and universities here are essentially businesses now, so money will always be the bottom line.

I've heard more than a few horror stories of students at universities here who can barely string a sentence together in English....but they can pay the extortionate tuition fees for non-EU students, so they're in (and I witnessed/experienced it at my university whilst I was there).

There have also been a few "whistleblowers" who revealed that lecturers have been institutionally bullied into leniency for the poor English of these students.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge for translation of personal statement

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search