Thread poster: Jacqueline Sieben

Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2012

Hi all!

What would you think of a system to be adopted by Proz.com to attract better paying outsourcers?

The system involves a (considerable) fee to be paid only by outsourcers who want to place jobs with a value below (the equivalent of) let’s say € 0.09 per word. The minimum rate could vary depending on the country where the outsourcer is based. In this way, outsourcers offering (very) low rates for translations would be discouraged while serious translation agencies and direct clients who offer reasonable to good word rates would be stimulated to use Proz.com ‘s translators pool.
The fees paid will be for the benefit of Proz.com members (extra free training etc.). In the Netherlands similar structures have been set up for foundations representing the interests of translators and interpreters. I think it would not pose any threat to the fair trade concept, because Proz.com would still be available to all outsourcers, only at a (higher) price as set out above.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A good idea but.... Apr 10, 2012

A good idea but since outsourcers would probably not be willing to pay, wouldn't it be simpler for Proz.com to just specify the minimum rate per source word that is acceptable in the outsourcer's country (to be revised periodically)?

In fact - why haven't they done this already?

[Edited at 2012-04-10 14:31 GMT]

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
Russian to English
+ ...
* Apr 10, 2012

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

Hi all!

What would you think of a system to be adopted by Proz.com to attract better paying outsourcers?

The system involves a (considerable) fee to be paid only by outsourcers who want to place jobs with a value below (the equivalent of) let’s say € 0.09 per word. The minimum rate could vary depending on the country where the outsourcer is based.

I don't get your point here.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The point is.... Apr 10, 2012

Alexander Onishko wrote:

... to cut out the ridiculously low rates that waste everybody's time and create the erroneous impression that translating is a low-value service that can be obtained on the cheap.

[Edited at 2012-04-10 14:46 GMT]

GerSi  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2010)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
I remember it being discussed before Apr 10, 2012

Hi,

I remember it has been discussed before, maybe even in another thread or perhaps at one of the virtual events.

I believe the Proz.com crew explained they don't want to discriminate anybody, since translators can deny or ignore poorly paid jobs.

[Edited at 2012-04-10 14:55 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Another vote for "Good idea, but..." Apr 10, 2012

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

The system involves a (considerable) fee to be paid only by outsourcers who want to place jobs with a value below (the equivalent of) let’s say € 0.09 per word.

I support anything that would rid ProZ.com of those awful $0.01 per source word postings. However, I can't see this as being something ProZ could slot into their current structure. In fact, the last major change to the job posting system actually removed the right of outsourcers to set a rate for the job. As freelancers, it's our right to set the rate for the job and agencies have no right dictating the rate. I know that in practice they do sometimes have a "take it or leave it" attitude, but that's mainly because so many freelance translators seem happy with a quasi employer/employee relationship (without the benefits associated with an employment contract, of course!).

So, I don't think it could be imposed without major changes - and I don't think I personally would like those changes.

I have suggested in the past that outsourcer profiles include a rates section, as we have, but there doesn't seem to be support for that. I see that as being an easy way to save us wasting time preparing quotes of $0.15 when the outsourcer never pays more than $0.05. On the other hand, it would have the disadvantage of making it clear to everyone that some outsourcers think that such rates are fair - and that's a bad thing for the industry.

Sheila

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:26
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would have to disagree with this one too... Apr 10, 2012

because it sounds like we are saying that it is perfectly acceptable to exploit people as long as you pay for the privilege.

njweatherdon
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
It's a free market. Apr 10, 2012

If you want to charge more, you have to deliver value. We live in an international digital world. Get used to it.

Some people will do what you do for less, so you have to do it better. I don't worry about this. The overall market is surely much, much larger, since there is so much need for organizations to be able to communicate in numerous languages to international audiences. Those who are willing to project their international image with a low cost, poor quality translation can feel free to take the risk of doing so so. Those who have always sought to protect or enhance their reputation by making sure that all aspects of their business or organization project professionalism and competence will continue to pay what it costs to get a high quality translation.

I do get messages in my inbox from time to time that are well below my lowest posted rate. This is slightly annoying, but I certainly do not view proz.com as an institution to uphold translation prices. It is a marketplace where those who demand and supply services of various qualities can come into contact in order to do business.

My 2c

[Edited at 2012-04-10 17:45 GMT]

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's one way of looking at it... Apr 10, 2012

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

because it sounds like we are saying that it is perfectly acceptable to exploit people as long as you pay for the privilege.

... but the extra money would be used for the benefit of Proz.com members.

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Market place and a little extra Apr 10, 2012

njweatherdon wrote:

If you want to charge more, you have to deliver value. We live in an international digital world. Get used to it.

Some people will do what you do for less, so you have to do it better. I don't worry about this. The overall market is surely much, much larger, since there is so much need for organizations to be able to communicate in numerous languages to international audiences. Those who are willing to project their international image with a low cost, poor quality translation can feel free to take the risk of doing so so. Those who have always sought to protect or enhance their reputation by making sure that all aspects of their business or organization project professionalism and competence will continue to pay what it costs to get a high quality translation.

I do get messages in my inbox from time to time that are well below my lowest posted rate. This is slightly annoying, but I certainly do not view proz.com as an institution to uphold translation prices. It is a marketplace where those who demand and supply services of various qualities can come into contact in order to do business.

My 2c

[Edited at 2012-04-10 17:45 GMT]

True, but Proz.com is already looking after translators' interests in several ways. Implementing the suggested system would portrait Proz.com and all its members as an advocate of fair prices and high quality translations (which go together like a horse and carriage. All bottom-feeders should be given a clear message that there is a price to their continuous offering of abysmally low rates. If they consequently choose to stay away, all the better. Proz.com's services to serious outsourcers offering reasonable to good rates will, of course, remain free of charge.

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
perhaps giving some companies some slack... Apr 10, 2012

Alexander Onishko wrote:

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

Hi all!

The system involves a (considerable) fee to be paid only by outsourcers who want to place jobs with a value below (the equivalent of) let’s say € 0.09 per word. The minimum rate could vary depending on the country where the outsourcer is based.

Well, maybe an outsourcer from India might be given a minimum rate threshold of € 0.08 per word. Just a suggestion.

Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah, the concept of discrimination Apr 10, 2012

GerSi wrote:

Hi,

I remember it has been discussed before, maybe even in another thread or perhaps at one of the virtual events.

I believe the Proz.com crew explained they don't want to discriminate anybody, since translators can deny or ignore poorly paid jobs.

[Edited at 2012-04-10 14:55 GMT]

One might argue that offering extremely low rates is even more discriminating towards hard-working translators who seek to deliver time and again a (near)perfect translation. Since companies are allowed to offer very poor rates in this free-market economy, I don't see why Proz.com would not be allowed to charge extra fees. I think it makes perfect sense. Outsourcers that have proven to be unreliable are being banned by Proz.com (in the interest of all members). Charging fees to outsourcers that offer very low rates will eventually a) discourage the bottom-feeders and b) improve Proz.com's reputation as a market place for serious and high-quality outsourcers and translators, all of which is in the best interest of all members.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
English to German
+ ...
Or a fee per job posting. Apr 10, 2012

Last week I have been offered a proofreading job for 24 words via ProZ.com, high-end marketing of course. It started with: "Congratulations! You have been successfully allocated job (something)", "Total fee offered: £0.30 Please find below the translation memory analysis."

I am not making this up.

Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Simple answer Apr 10, 2012

Sorry, my minimum rate is ...

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Last week I have been offered a proofreading job for 24 words via ProZ.com, high-end marketing of course. It started with: "Congratulations! You have been successfully allocated job (something)", "Total fee offered: £0.30 Please find below the translation memory analysis."

I am not making this up.

Blythe Carlsen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:26
Spanish to English
Wouldn't charging a large sum for "the good" jobs discourage Apr 10, 2012

Wouldn't charging a large sum (by ProZ) for "the good jobs" tend to discourage those who are willing to pay for a good translation? I wonder if it might not encourage them to go elsewhere to find a good translator. I would prefer that the the companies/ individuals who are willing to pay for a good translation pay that money to me...rather than any website. I tend to agree with Tom (I believe it was) in London that it would be much easier to have ProZ post minimums or as someone else mentioned, say, "My rates are _____" and they can accept your bid or look elsewhere.

[Edited at 2012-04-10 19:21 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion to attract better paying outsourcers at Proz.com

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search