How does children's books' translator get paid?
Thread poster: In Polish Words

In Polish Words  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:00
Member (2011)
English to Polish
Apr 11, 2012

I would like to make my first steps into the world of literary translation but I don't know how it works from the business side of things. If you translate a children's book, do you get a one-off payment for your job or do you also participate in profits from subsequent sales? Do you charge per word, per page, per assignment?
I suppose it all depends on who owns the translation rights and the type of contract you sign... or perhaps, it is a lot more complicated issue. If it is difficult to answer my question briefly then maybe someone can recomment a good book I could read on the subject?

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contact the TA Apr 11, 2012

Aleksandra, I see you are based in the UK. The best source of information on how to proceed is to talk to the Translators Association of the Society of Authors. They have model contracts for book translations, whether for adults or chidlren, and also a service of checking any contracts you might be offered. They are very helpful.

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:00
Polish to English
+ ...
English-Polish? Apr 11, 2012

Aleksandra,
the answer may depend on local rules, habits, etc.
I guess you mean English-Polish translations to be published in Poland. In such case you may find many information in the "Wydawnictwa i ich obyczaje" forum (in Polish) http://goo.gl/oalqs

In Polish Words  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 15, 2012

Thank you for your help

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 16, 2012

I've done several children's books, mostly for translation companies, and fixed payments, rather than royalties, seem to be the norm. I feel this is reasonable unless you're translating something like Harry Potter, as most kids' books have relatively small sales and don't stay in print for very long.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does children's books' translator get paid?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search