https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/222617-best_payment_method_to_be_used_with_an_outsourcer_based_in_the_us_suggestions_needed.html

Best payment method to be used with an outsourcer based in the US - suggestions needed
Thread poster: Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:15
English to German
+ ...
Apr 12, 2012

Which is the best way to receive payment from an outsourcer who is based in the US?
I am located in Germany.

Paypal?

If I wanted to have say 2,000 EUR on my account how much would I have to charge him?

Thanks for your answers.
Gudrun

Haluk Erkan
Haluk Erkan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:15
German to Turkish
+ ...
SKRILL (ex. Moneybookers) Apr 12, 2012

Bei SKRILL kostet ein Geldtransfer 1.80 €. Fragen Sie den Kunden, ob er bereit waere, die Überweisung über SKRILL zu taetigen. Es ist kinderleicht dort ein Konto zu eröffen und funktioniert reibungslos, wobei die Beteiligten sich per Kreditkarte identifizieren müssen. Das ist aber schon alles... Ich bin sehr zufreiden damit, kann nur weiterempfehlen.

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke dir, Haluk. Apr 12, 2012

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 15:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
I won't recommend PayPal at this time... Apr 12, 2012

Dear Gudrun,

I highly recommend you th choose another payment method than PayPal, as they would charge a lot for you to receive such a mount.

Instead, ask the client to send the payment via Western Union, Wire Transfer or MoneyGram.
I used to share 30-40% of the Wire Transfer fee with top clients here to facilitate the process.

Best Regards,
Giovany

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 12, 2012

Giovany.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitely Xoom Apr 12, 2012

Try http://www.xoom.com . Transfers of up to USD 3K cost USD 5 to the sender and nothing to the receiver. They'll deposit directly to your bank account. I checked, and Germany is among the 30+ countries they serve (from the US only).

While in Brazil a cash credit will be made within 24 hours on banking days, I just learned that it takes two banking days in Germany. Most likely due to a slower banking sys
... See more
Try http://www.xoom.com . Transfers of up to USD 3K cost USD 5 to the sender and nothing to the receiver. They'll deposit directly to your bank account. I checked, and Germany is among the 30+ countries they serve (from the US only).

While in Brazil a cash credit will be made within 24 hours on banking days, I just learned that it takes two banking days in Germany. Most likely due to a slower banking system.

While PayPal may be attractive to the funds sender (no fees to them), it is costly to the receiver. I'll give you figures for Brazil, it may vary for each country:
  • 6.5% fees deducted from the payee (fees)
  • 3.5 lower than market exchange rates (as per their help pages)
  • 3-5 banking days delay if the sender pays with an eCheck
  • 3-5 additional banking days if PayPal has their own operations in your country

The Xoom USD 3K limit is the default. If the sender contacts their customer service by phone, and explains who they are and what they are up to, it may be easily and promptly lifted.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, José, Apr 12, 2012

for your detailed answer.
Gudrun

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Exactly Apr 13, 2012

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve wrote:

Dear Gudrun,

I highly recommend you th choose another payment method than PayPal, as they would charge a lot for you to receive such a mount.

Instead, ask the client to send the payment via Western Union, Wire Transfer or MoneyGram.
I used to share 30-40% of the Wire Transfer fee with top clients here to facilitate the process.

I've just received payment via PayPal and they charged a hefty 5.6 % instead of the formerly 3.5%. And their USD to EUR exchange rate isn't exactly favorable, either.

Hopefully, your client will agree to other methods of payment.

Alles Gute,

Thayenga

Best Regards,
Giovany

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

to help you decide Apr 13, 2012

This article seems very useful when trying to decide which service is best for you:
"Learn how to send and receive money through Xoom and Paypal -
Two of our more recommended methods to send and receive payments are Xoom and PayPal. We have used both services and have found that both are convenient and easy to use. While some may prefer one over the other, each has their own merits. I will discuss each payment method in detail so that you may be able to choose which payment met
... See more
This article seems very useful when trying to decide which service is best for you:
"Learn how to send and receive money through Xoom and Paypal -
Two of our more recommended methods to send and receive payments are Xoom and PayPal. We have used both services and have found that both are convenient and easy to use. While some may prefer one over the other, each has their own merits. I will discuss each payment method in detail so that you may be able to choose which payment method is best for you to use."

http://easyoutsource.com/blog/learn-how-to-send-and-receive-money-through-xoom-and-paypal/

I started using PayPal when I was still living in Hungary and, although their fees might be a little high, I stayed with them even after I relocated to the US. Now I use Paypal to receive payments from my European clients and most US clients as well; I have a USD account and a Euro account. I have never had any issues with PayPal, and most of my clients use it, so it works for me.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 14, 2012

Ildiko.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best payment method to be used with an outsourcer based in the US - suggestions needed

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »