Pau  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:23
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 13, 2012

Hello,

I have been recently contacted by a Madrid based translation agency called XXXXX (XXXXXX) for a project. It seems that this company has gone through financial problems in the last four years. It has been banned from Proz. I read comments about its payment practices dated in 2010 and they were rather discouraging. I would like to ask if any of you has worked with them in the last year to know whether this company has been able to recover from the crisis.

Do you think it's worth accepting an offer from them?

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Pau L. Manzano

As names cannot be given I'll give you a general clue. Is a Madrid based agency and on the website says they have an office in Miami. In any case, if you want to take the time to contact me personally I will let you know the name of the company.

(uapzan@hotmail.com)

[Bearbeitet am 2012-04-13 14:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
According to BB, Apr 13, 2012

they have been in deep troubles since October-November 2008 (i.e. since beginning of the crisis). A the fact that they were banned from Proz indicates that there were other ravaged translators writting letters to Proz.com management.
So, take it only if you are in desperate need of a job and willing to wait for months or even years for your payment (even risking that the agency bankrupts and you will not get anything). Otherwise, I would recommend you to politely ask for an advance of 50% with rest of payment paid on delivery of the first half of translation. If they refuse, you should run away as fast as possible.

My opinion only.

Pau wrote:

Hello,

I have been recently contacted by a Madrid based translation agency called XXXXX (XXXXXX) for a project. It seems that this company has gone through financial problems in the last four years. It has been banned from Proz. I read comments about its payment practices dated in 2010 and they were rather discouraging. I would like to ask if any of you has worked with them in the last year to know whether this company has been able to recover from the crisis.

Do you think it's worth accepting an offer from them?

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Pau L. Manzano

As names cannot be given I'll give you a general clue. Is a Madrid based agency and on the website says they have an office in Miami. In any case, if you want to take the time to contact me personally I will let you know the name of the company.

(uapzan@hotmail.com)

[Bearbeitet am 2012-04-13 14:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-13 16:36 GMT]

Aisling O'Callaghan
English to Irish
+ ...
I agree with Vladimír Apr 13, 2012

When I'm approached by any company with a poor record on Proz I ask for full payment on confirmation of the project in question. A little extreme, but I then avoid wasting time chasing payments. In my experience genuine companies are usually willing to pay upfront. If you agree to proceed you should be prepared for non-payment.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No way José! Apr 13, 2012

Unfortunately their Blueboard record is so atrocious at the moment that working for them would as safe as entering the lion's cage with a meat loaf on your shoulder.

[Edited at 2012-04-13 20:05 GMT]

xxxLucyPatterso
English
Full advance payment Apr 13, 2012

Unless you REALLY have nothing better to do with your time (take dog for a walk, read a good book, work for another client???) I would not bother with this.

Maybe everything would work out fine but there are plenty of warning signs clearly suggesting you will not get a penny for this work.

JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Tomás Apr 13, 2012

his metaphor is telling, and the following one would be fitting too:

'as safe as rubbing yourself with anchovies and jumping into a shark tank'

[Edited at 2012-04-13 22:44 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Recovering from the crisis"? Apr 14, 2012

Pau wrote:
I would like to ask if any of you has worked with them in the last year to know whether this company has been able to recover from the crisis.

Pau, I am sorry to have to say this, but you seem to be terribly naïve about the matter. Despite the crisis, none of my 20+ agency customers has failed to pay one single invoice. When a company insists in not paying, giving lame excuses for the lack of payment, and not answering the phone, what does that tell you about them?

Any agency with one or several bad ratings in the Blueboard is a no-go for me unless they pay 50% in advance and 50% upon delivery of the first half of the job. Translators don't record a rating of 1 or 2 in the Blueboard because they do not like the project manager's haircut, but because they have had/are having serious trouble with the agency.

[Edited at 2012-04-14 06:27 GMT]

Pau  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your comments Apr 14, 2012

Yes Tomás, it shouldn't be so, but sometimes I am a bit naïve. Don't worry about it.
I see there is no deal to be made with a company like that and given its bad paying record, I don't think they would accept the payment conditions you mention.
So, I would rather take the meat to prepare a slightly spicy barbecue, and look for more interesting projects (a national geographic report about african lions mating season charged on a pay as you go basis would be nice...)

Cheers!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
All the signs are there. Apr 14, 2012

Pau wrote:

Hello,

I have been recently contacted by a Madrid based translation agency called XXXXX (XXXXXX) for a project. It seems that this company has gone through financial problems in the last four years. It has been banned from Proz. I read comments about its payment practices dated in 2010 and they were rather discouraging.

Hi Pau,

you have already quoted 2 of the warning signs:

1. They have been banned from ProZ.
2. They have negative BB entries due to their payment practices.

1. ProZ.com staff doesn't just flip a coin to determine who to ban from the site.
It takes a lot of "negativitiy" before the moderators take such drastic action.

2. As Tomás has stated, nobody makes a negative entry in a company's/agency's BB just "for the fun of it". Especially when it comes to payment practices. I assume that most, rather all of our colleagues will only make such a negative and public entry after everything else to collect payment(s) has failed.

There is also the option to contact those colleagues who have worked for this outsourcer for, perhaps, more detailed information.

Stay safe, get paid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you recently worked for XXXXXX?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search