Charging translation fees for documentaries
Thread poster: Neshamah

Neshamah
Local time: 08:22
Croatian to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2012

Hello everyone,
I am looking for information on how to charge for translating documentaries/movies? Is it per line, minute or number of words? Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
per minute or per hour Apr 15, 2012

The charge is either per video minute or per hour that you spend working on the translation.

Happy Sunday.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please specify Apr 15, 2012

Do you mean translating scripts that are already written, for their later use in audio-visual materials? Or watching/listening to audio-visuals and write the translation of their script?

xxxchristela
Lump sum per video Apr 15, 2012

I was paid a lump sum (for translating directly from the video, there was no transcription stage in between). The videos, of an educational nature (nature & scientific) were always of the same length, 45', independently of the quantity of text. It was not very difficult for a person who is fluent in both languages, and my client did the rest of the work (postsynchronisation).

Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Unclear Apr 15, 2012

Do you mean subtitling?

Neshamah
Croatian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Average fee Apr 15, 2012

Thayenga wrote:

The charge is either per video minute or per hour that you spend working on the translation.

Happy Sunday.

And what charge would you suggest per minute, can you give me an average fee?

Neshamah
Croatian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Average fee Apr 15, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Do you mean translating scripts that are already written, for their later use in audio-visual materials? Or watching/listening to audio-visuals and write the translation of their script?

Listening to audio-visual material and then writing the translation of the script. Can you suggest an average fee, what would you charge per minute?

Neshamah
Croatian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Average fee Apr 15, 2012

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Do you mean subtitling?

Yes, do you know what people charge on average for a minute of subtitling?

Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
This is impossible to answer Apr 15, 2012

as you are asking for all sorts of fees.

In the case of subtitling it depends on a number of factors, including, but not limited to, your familiarity with subtitling software, your experience in the field, your language pair...

Neshamah
Croatian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Average fee Apr 15, 2012

Barbara Carrara wrote:

as you are asking for all sorts of fees.

In the case of subtitling it depends on a number of factors, including, but not limited to, your familiarity with subtitling software, your experience in the field, your language pair...

Well, I've done only one movie so far, I've used software for this one. My language pair in this particular case is Croatian-English, I was just inquiring about the fee range in this translation segment, so any hints would be useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging translation fees for documentaries

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search