Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If they do not have a valid VAT number Apr 20, 2012

you have to charge it. I made a few translations for a Spanish ONG without charging VAT and some time afterwards I got a letter from the Belgian tax authorities saying that I had to charge VAT...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If I understand you correctly... Apr 20, 2012

... your ONG is located in Belgium. If I could be of any help, do not hesitate to email me.

Jehanne Henin
Jehanne Henin  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:47
English to French
+ ...
What do the NGO have to say? Apr 20, 2012

They at least should be able to tell you whether they're VAT exempt or not, whether they have to fill VAT declarations or not.
If they say they are subject to VAT but the number they gave you is not valid in VIES, well try again some days later. I had the case several times when a perfectly valid number was unknown in VIES for some time then reappeared...

fr54ert
fr54ert
Local time: 14:47
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jun 7, 2012

Thanks again everybody for this constructive dialogue - as always!

Turns out the NGO is not VAT exempt, but does not have to do VAT declarations. Therefore, they are legally registered, which is the number I had, but that isn't a VAT number.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT or no VAT? Intracommunitary invoice with non-VIES NGO

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »