uncleaned files in Trados
Thread poster: ElkeKoe
ElkeKoe
ElkeKoe  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to German
+ ...
Jun 24, 2004

I am new at ProZ.com but have worked since several years as freelance translator and proofreader.
Now I have done a translation for another ProZ-member:

Purchase Order:
Words: XXX
Charge: Euro XX,XX (= Euro 0,08/Wort Ausgangstext)
Deadline: Wednesday, XX.XX.XXXX, 00.00 a.m.
Delivery: 2 Trados files (uncleaned and cleaned)

The client did solely ask for a translation before he sent me the purchase order and we only discussed the charge for th
... See more
I am new at ProZ.com but have worked since several years as freelance translator and proofreader.
Now I have done a translation for another ProZ-member:

Purchase Order:

The client did solely ask for a translation before he sent me the purchase order and we only discussed the charge for the mere translation. But now the client demands for the uncleaned file. I don't think that this is a fair behaviour because it can't be that he gets twice the file for only one payment. In my opinion uncleaned Trados files are intellectual property and private.

Now the problem is that I have send the translation already back to the client. He refuses to pay my invoice correctly. He says that he will reduce the amount he has to pay for my translation because he has to charge up the alignment of the translation against this amount.

Do I have to accept this to learn the hard way?
What rights do I have to demand for the correct payment of my invoice?

Can I rate this client in ProZ.com to save other ProZ.com members to work with this person?

Thank you very much for your replies.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:44
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The purchase order is clear enough... Jun 24, 2004

Elke Koerschgens wrote:
Purchase Order:

The purchase order is clear enough: I think you should not have started the translation before receiving the purchase order - that way you could have cleared with your customer any discrepancy between what was agreed on the phone and what appears on the PO, before actually doing any work.

More in general: was the translation memory provided by your customer, or did you create it yourself? If the latter, you are in a better position to retain the uncleaned files as your intellectual property than if the translation memory had been provided by your customer.

Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
It is normal... Jun 24, 2004

I have already received a lot of orders in this way: You don't need to do extra work and the customer is satisfied. Many translation agencies need to update the TM of a specific customer every time in order to guarantee the consistency.

...in Germany and Austria is normal to do so!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:44
German to English
No big deal Jun 24, 2004

I've never understood why people get worked up about being required to send uncleaned files. It's just a reflection of one stage of the translation project. It's not as though the client is requesting your entire TM, which is, indeed, your intellectual property. The client could always align the monlingual files.

In many instances the TM is a collaborative effort between the client and the translators. I've been working with a client for several years who *only* wants uncleaned file
... See more
I've never understood why people get worked up about being required to send uncleaned files. It's just a reflection of one stage of the translation project. It's not as though the client is requesting your entire TM, which is, indeed, your intellectual property. The client could always align the monlingual files.

In many instances the TM is a collaborative effort between the client and the translators. I've been working with a client for several years who *only* wants uncleaned files. As a consequence he has built a large TM which at this juncture is too large to send via e-mail, so when I work on a project, I have to download the updated TM (which has been developed by numerous translators) via FTP. I benefit from this, as each TM is larger by about 500 segments each time and is a gold mine of terminology.
Kevin
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Give them the file Jun 24, 2004

I would send them the uncleaned file. What can you lose? As you can see, they can align the translation anyway, so why make things harder.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Price Jun 24, 2004

Elke Koerschgens wrote:

He refuses to pay my invoice correctly. He says that he will reduce the amount he has to pay for my translation because he has to charge up the alignment of the translation against this amount.

It seems that your customer is following a GOOD practice of actually paying MORE for CAT-aided translation. It certainly makes sense to me.

Magda

ElkeKoe
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That sounds good! Jun 25, 2004

Kfulton wrote:

In many instances the TM is a collaborative effort between the client and the translators. I've been working with a client for several years who *only* wants uncleaned files. As a consequence he has built a large TM which at this juncture is too large to send via e-mail, so when I work on a project, I have to download the updated TM (which has been developed by numerous translators) via FTP. I benefit from this, as each TM is larger by about 500 segments each time and is a gold mine of terminology.
Kevin

Hello Kevin,

I think that my client doesn't want to build up a general file but to get new vocabulary on the easiest manner ot use it solely on his own.
Does your client charge different rates for already existing words/matches in the TM and new ones? If so, I think that this business practise is a good way for your client to save money because matches are cheaper than new words, aren't they?

Best wishes,
Elke

ElkeKoe
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right! Jun 25, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I would send them the uncleaned file. What can you lose? As you can see, they can align the translation anyway, so why make things harder.

Hello Hynek,
Yes, you are right. After many replies to my question I agree with this opinion but first it made me angry.
Best wishes,
Elke

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

uncleaned files in Trados

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »