Off topic: Free Translations and Internet Trolling
Thread poster: Bryan Crumpler

Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 2, 2012

I spit out my coffee upon reading of this "episode" of hilarity when a freebie went awry. Nice win for the translator IMO.

http://textfail.com/2012/04/29/awesome-japanese-troll-ftw/

Direct link Reply with quote

aslimnb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:32
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
:)) May 3, 2012

Very funny, Bryan, thanks for sharing this!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
English to German
+ ...
Gorgeous! May 3, 2012

Thanks for posting, Brian!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What is so funny? May 3, 2012

Somehow I do not find it funny at all. The guy just asked for help and got trolled - it is rather sad... Would you like to be treated this way here when you ask about some software or hardware problem, a tax issue or when you ask your Kudoz question? I do not think so...

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A good one May 3, 2012

Thanks, Brian, for this early morning ROTFLOL.
Hilarious!

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Agree with Jabberwock May 3, 2012

I don't really see why this is funny either.
If somebody asks for help you either help or you don't, but make sure to treat others the way you would like to be treated.
If a colleague posted a tax-related question in the fora, would you still find it funny if they were treated in a similar manner?

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Jabberwock, May 3, 2012

this is not funny. Sorry.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Audio demon very dangerous, no good. May 3, 2012

I'm sorry but this is HILARIOUS!

Glorious master CD player....audio demon...much dishonour to family name...

I was in stitches.

Lighten up guys, nobody died.....besides, there's a moral to the story - this is what happens when you skimp on translation!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
English to German
+ ...
IF the story is true at all May 3, 2012

Jabberwock wrote:

Somehow I do not find it funny at all. The guy just asked for help and got trolled - it is rather sad... Would you like to be treated this way here when you ask about some software or hardware problem, a tax issue or when you ask your Kudoz question? I do not think so...

...then anyone who expects a professional translator to decipher and translate texts from blurry little cell phone photos at no charge might just reap what he sowed. The follow-up regarding "some dude" "telling BS" is not very elegant, either.

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Seriously? May 3, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

...there's a moral to the story - this is what happens when you skimp on translation!

How many instruction manuals do you have at home and have you sent any of them for translation?? (imagine they're all in Thai)

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
You help or you do not May 3, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
...then anyone who expects a professional translator to decipher and translate texts from blurry little cell phone photos at no charge might just reap what he sowed.

I do not see any mention of "professional translator"... do you? Unless you mean that everyone who "speaks Japanese" is a professional translator.

Anyway, I have a feeling that if most of our colleagues received hardware with Japanese manual only, they would rather not shell out for a full translation (which cost could easily exceed the hardware price). They would come running for help here or just convert the manual into a string of KudoZ questions.

The fact that you can ask total strangers for help and are very likely to receive it is one of the beauties of the Internet. I'm glad that such trolls are rare and generally shunned.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
In the EU May 3, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

...there's a moral to the story - this is what happens when you skimp on translation!

How many instruction manuals do you have at home and have you sent any of them for translation?? (imagine they're all in Thai)

I seem to remember that there is a legal requirement to provide manuals and other instructions in the country's main language (although these are often badly/cheaply translated).

If I receive manuals in another language, I reject the product as faulty.

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Jabberwock, again! May 3, 2012

Jabberwock wrote:
... I have a feeling that if most of our colleagues received hardware with Japanese manual only, they would rather not shell out for a full translation (which cost could easily exceed the hardware price). They would come running for help here or just convert the manual into a string of KudoZ questions.

@Madeleine

Yes, I know that, I was giving an example (maybe a badly chosen one!).

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Surprisingly, it happens! May 3, 2012

Jabberwock wrote:
Anyway, I have a feeling that if most of our colleagues received hardware with Japanese manual only, they would rather not shell out for a full translation (which cost could easily exceed the hardware price). They would come running for help here or just convert the manual into a string of KudoZ questions.

Now and then I receive queries (people who find me though my web site) asking me how much it would cost to translate (from EN into PT) an instructions manual. It usually has some 80-200 pages, and they'd like me to preserve the original layout on the PDF.

It's usually some uncommon and feature-packed electronic contrivance they bought for some $100 in Miami. The translation of the instructions would cost at least 10 times the cost of that unit. So I explain them that while it would be worthwhile for an importer to have that manual properly translated, to include it with the so many thousand units they'd sell in Brazil, it will be too expensive for a single user to have it translated for their personal use. I suggest they shoot it through Google Translate, and give some allowance for the nonsense they'll get.

Some bother to reply that yes, they tried GT, however their very basic school English allowed them to understand more from the original that from the automatic translation they got, which was absolute gibberish.

Others send me several hundred pages from books they need to read for some higher education course they are taking. I tell them than an ESL course will probably cost about the same as that translation, and provide them with a lot of additional benefits for their entire lifetime.

Something led these people to believe that translation is cheap labor. These people lead other people to believe so too. And some of these other people eventually become translators for whatever other reasons. When they do, they think 1-3¢/word should be a quite normal rate.

I recently made a web survey on published translation rates for my language pair. They vary from US 1.5 to almost 30 cents per word!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have a colleague who really tries with manuals May 3, 2012

I had to admit I chuckled. It IS funny at first sight, but expecting a lot of help for free is unreasonable.

In the EU it is the manufacturer's responsibility to supply a manual in the language of the country. You can return the faulty CD-player or whatever to the shop and ask for a manual you can read. It may or may not exist...

I avoid user manuals like the plague, but I have a colleague who really makes an effort when she gets one of these texts. Still, she has to make a living, and does not do 200 pages for free. On the other hand, you will be able to operate your electronic device, whatever it is when she has finished.

She does NOT get all the manuals either.... I have seen some of the cr*p that is sometimes turned out, with attempts at a three-in-one for Danish, Swedish and Norwegian... which are very difficult to read. Many Scandinavians would prefer a decent text in any ONE of those, but regulations say there must be instructions in each language.

Then many are glad they can read the English or German instructions instead.

Those are sometimes better, but not always... They may be translated from a remote eastern language by Google Translate or someone with a pocket dictionary and no idea of English grammar or syntax. I feel really sorry for my Danish colleagues sometimes, when they are given these as source texts.

They might as well include sushi menus and even offers of swords for seppuku - I know the feeling!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Translations and Internet Trolling

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search