Trados match matrix rates
Thread poster: Dariush Robertson
Dariush Robertson
Dariush Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:07
Chinese to English
May 4, 2012

I work in the UK, and I just wanted to ask what people thought of these rates (with a base rate of 67GBP per 1000 TT words):

Repetition: 15% of base rate
100%: 15% of base rate, (if there's no need to make changes , then 0%)
95%-99%: 50% of base rate
85%-94%: 50% of base rate
75%-84%: 50% of base rate
0-74%: 100% of base rate

My first thought was that these rates are pretty low, am I wrong?

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, those are deep discounts May 4, 2012

I would definitely negotiate these up with any client... or raise my per-word rate for them.

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
No discount at all below 75%. May 4, 2012

Here is my list:

0 - 75% match: 100%
75% - 98%: 50%
Repetitions and 98-100%: 20%
No changes: 10%

My experience is that anything below 100% involves a thought process and work. Anything below 75% takes means that you have to rearrange the segments and that takes almost as long as writing it from scratch.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Agreed May 4, 2012

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
I would definitely negotiate these up with any client... or raise my per-word rate for them.

I try to stick to the following:
1/4-1/3 of full translation rate for rereading 100%/reps in context, 2/3-3/4 for changing 75/85-99% matches and 4/4 for translating 0-74/85% matches.

Philippe

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Discounts are only logical when productivity increases May 4, 2012

Whether a TM will help you with your translation in terms of productivity depends heavily on whether you are dealing with repeat clients/subjects, and which particular subjects you generally translate. Because of the types of documents I translate, I no longer agree to blanket discount "matrices", I discuss discounts on a case-by-case basis only.

Why?

Because I have had too many experiences where sorting through multiple fuzzy matches and trying to determine which, if a
... See more
Whether a TM will help you with your translation in terms of productivity depends heavily on whether you are dealing with repeat clients/subjects, and which particular subjects you generally translate. Because of the types of documents I translate, I no longer agree to blanket discount "matrices", I discuss discounts on a case-by-case basis only.

Why?

Because I have had too many experiences where sorting through multiple fuzzy matches and trying to determine which, if any, might come close enough to my current text to actually use, and then taking the time to adapt the terminology, sentence structure, and context to the current text actually takes more time than constructing a new translation. Because 100% matches sometimes need to be changed/adjusted, and repeats have to be reviewed and proofread as well. Because sometimes nothing that's in the TM actually helps, whether it's a match or not.

So why should I be paid less for the same or possibly even more work?

If after I review a text, the number and frequency of matches and where and how they appear in the text all seem to indicate that my productivity will actually increase, I may discuss a discount with the client and let them know what I feel is appropriate.

But even under those circumstances, I still ask for at least 30% of my standard rate for all 100% matches and repetitions (in some cases 50%, especially when the TM entries aren't mine), and usually will not offer any discounts for any matches falling in the categories below 95%.
Collapse

Anna Haxen
Anna Haxen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2005)
English to Danish
+ ...
Always charge for 100% matches May 4, 2012

Per Magnus wrote:

Here is my list:

0 - 75% match: 100%
75% - 98%: 50%

My experience is that anything below 100% involves a thought process and work. Anything below 75% takes means that you have to rearrange the segments and that takes almost as long as writing it from scratch.

I agree with this matrix except that I don't accept 0 payment for 100% matches - changes or no changes. The reason being that I read through all matches to ensure consistency. If a client insisted on paying nothing for 100% matches, I would warn them that I would ignore those matches and not take responsibility for inconsistent terminology.

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Clarifying May 4, 2012

Anna Haxen wrote:
If a client insisted on paying nothing for 100% matches, I would warn them that I would ignore those matches and not take responsibility for inconsistent terminology.

I agree, Anna, that is why I say:

With “No changes” I mean that I don’t look at them at all. I don’t know why, but some clients prefer it that way.

Dariush Robertson
Dariush Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:07
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the input! May 4, 2012

Thank you very much,

I thought the rates I'd been quoted were a bit low, and that it was a bit strange to offer a fee of 0% for 100% matches that don't require changing. Now I know that those rates are a bit on the low side, and that I shouldn't accept a fee of 0% for 100% matches that don't require changing.

[Edited at 2012-05-04 17:28 GMT]

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 18:07
English to Polish
+ ...
My 2 cents May 4, 2012

My 'sliding scale' is simple (accounting is complicated enough, I don't need % of rates to make it even more tedious):
100% - $0 if they come from client's TM and I do not touch them
everything else - full rate.
Works for me, works for most of my clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados match matrix rates

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »