Thread poster: Omnia Abdelgani
Omnia Abdelgani
Omnia Abdelgani  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 7, 2012

Hi.....
My clints started sending me documents that have a fixed part that exist in many of their documents(description of their establishment), I charge for this part only when I do any modification of my earlier translation. One of my clints asked me not to include that part in the word count, but others don't.
My question is if they keep sending me the same part should I include it in the word count? I want to handle this matter like a professional translator (ethically s
... See more
Hi.....
My clints started sending me documents that have a fixed part that exist in many of their documents(description of their establishment), I charge for this part only when I do any modification of my earlier translation. One of my clints asked me not to include that part in the word count, but others don't.
My question is if they keep sending me the same part should I include it in the word count? I want to handle this matter like a professional translator (ethically speaking) , what shall I do?

Many thanks.
Collapse

Vladimír Hoffman
Vladimír Hoffman  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2009)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Personally, I would continue to charge. May 7, 2012

You need to read the part to find if some changes were not made (I recommend using CAT tool, such as Trados), which means that you need to spend your time even with non-translated parts.

IOMS wrote:

Hi.....
My question is if they keep sending me the same part should I include it in the word count? I want to handle this matter like a professional translator (ethically speaking) , what shall I do?

Many thanks.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:18
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You need to charge for such parts May 7, 2012

IOMS wrote:

Hi.....

Many thanks.

Maybe at editing rates only, but you have to at least check the text to ensure that it is the most recent version, for quality reasons and on behalf of your client.

I assume that you are talking about recurring text parts as in press releases - they are called boiler plates. They also are frequently updated because companies have the tendency to add new products, technologies, or new offices. Or they all of the sudden have 3000 employees instead of 2800. Ignoring such recurring texts would be unprofessional. So is any moronic PM who asks you to do so.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't charge for them. May 7, 2012

I think it could generate bad feeling to charge for translating a couple of hundred words when you haven't actually translated them. I'd give it a quick once-over as a favor to the client.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:18
French to English
+ ...
Agreed... May 7, 2012

If you literally have "nothing to do" with those parts, then they wouldn't be sending them in the first place...

Omnia Abdelgani
Omnia Abdelgani  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 7, 2012

Many thanks everyone for taking the time to answe my questions. Best of luck

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Take the initiative May 7, 2012

Take the oppertunity to lay down the ground rules in your offer.

Most clients do not really understand all that much about the mechanics of translation. If you feel that something is not right, they will appreciate it if you are upfront with them.

Make it clear in your original offer how you intend to treat any repetitions of previously translated text in new work and everyone will be happy. There are of course various ways in which you can handle the situation (no char
... See more
Take the oppertunity to lay down the ground rules in your offer.

Most clients do not really understand all that much about the mechanics of translation. If you feel that something is not right, they will appreciate it if you are upfront with them.

Make it clear in your original offer how you intend to treat any repetitions of previously translated text in new work and everyone will be happy. There are of course various ways in which you can handle the situation (no charge; reduced editing rate; full tariff). The important thing is that your clients know exactly what they are paying for before you start translating.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
well May 7, 2012

I would say it's up to the client to either remove the part they don't want translated, or at least highlight it in another colour if they don't want to actually remove it for whatever reason.

If they don't want you to charge then it must be absolutely clear from the outset what you are not to charge for.

If you have to spend time checking whether it's really the same or if you've spent money on a CAT tool which will check for you then you ought to charge something, a
... See more
I would say it's up to the client to either remove the part they don't want translated, or at least highlight it in another colour if they don't want to actually remove it for whatever reason.

If they don't want you to charge then it must be absolutely clear from the outset what you are not to charge for.

If you have to spend time checking whether it's really the same or if you've spent money on a CAT tool which will check for you then you ought to charge something, at least your editing charge.

I will waive this for clients I really like but see no reason to do so for people who mess me around or who need nudging when it's time to pay.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If they ask you not to include it in the word count, don't include it. May 8, 2012

But don't translate it.
As your client already have it, he/she can copy and paste it from your previous translations. I do that for my clients... after three or four additional translation jobs they ask me to start to translate it again as they realize that the boilers do in fact have some little differences and they find out that it quite difficult to detect the changes.

Regards

Clarisa

LucyPatterso (X)
LucyPatterso (X)
English
If they are not paying for it, just leave it May 9, 2012

I agree with what others have said.

I have a regular job like this and the agency simply highlights the text. They have it in their translation memory and are happy to deal with it themselves (and maybe charge their client each time, who knows!).

This is quite a simple case where your client already has the translation. Just let them know you have already translated it before, so they have it already. If they want you to work on it again, then they can pay you.
... See more
I agree with what others have said.

I have a regular job like this and the agency simply highlights the text. They have it in their translation memory and are happy to deal with it themselves (and maybe charge their client each time, who knows!).

This is quite a simple case where your client already has the translation. Just let them know you have already translated it before, so they have it already. If they want you to work on it again, then they can pay you.

Translators should not forget that Trados and other translation programs should be for THEIR benefit. You have a record of YOUR own work to cut time and costs. If someone asks you to translate the same thing again, it's not really their business if you work 3 hours on it or simply get your PC to do it for you. But i think it is ethical to remind them they already have the translation in an old document.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To charge or not to charge?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »