Tiến Anh Lê  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 06:49
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
May 19, 2012

Hi,

An agent from Japan owns me money (350$) for months. They promise a lot but no action is made. They have recently received very bad reputation on BB.

I would like to ask for small legal suite. Does anyone knows any good debt collector in Japan who can help me to do that?

Many thanks in advance.

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
No chance May 21, 2012

Japan doesn't have debt collection agencies... only lawyers. You need to claim at least 1000 USD or so to make that worthwhile... I wish I had better news.

Tiến Anh Lê
Vietnam
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can be summed up to a large amount May 21, 2012

Loek van Kooten wrote:

Japan doesn't have debt collection agencies... only lawyers. You need to claim at least 1000 USD or so to make that worthwhile... I wish I had better news.

Thanks for your news.

In fact, the amount is not a problem, I believe that the amount can sum up to 50k$ by adding the victims.

If there is any lawyer who can help please kindly let me know.

XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
English May 22, 2012

You'll need one who speaks English (else you won't be able to communicate), and those laywers mostly have an English website. I think in this case, Google is your best friend!

Kiwi_de
Kiwi_de
German to Japanese
+ ...
Action on Small Claim (少額訴訟) May 26, 2012

In Japan, there is "Action on Small Claim" (少額訴訟).
That is a sort of civil suit for small debts (less than 600,000 yen).
People don't hire any lawyer for it.

I am not a lawyer, so please read the following articles (I think you understand Japanese):
HP of court
... See more
In Japan, there is "Action on Small Claim" (少額訴訟).
That is a sort of civil suit for small debts (less than 600,000 yen).
People don't hire any lawyer for it.

I am not a lawyer, so please read the following articles (I think you understand Japanese):
HP of courts in Japan: http://www.courts.go.jp/saiban/wadai/1902/index.html
Wikipedia: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/少額訴訟制度

There are also many HPs about Action on Small Claim.
If you search just "少額訴訟" in internet, you can find such HPs.

I don't know whether one can bring an Action on Small Claim from foreign country,
but if you write to the agency that you will bring an Action on Small Claim with the help of someone in Japan, the agency would maybe pay you.

[2012-05-26 01:11 GMTに編集されました]

[2012-05-26 02:20 GMTに編集されました]

[2012-05-26 10:28 GMTに編集されました]

[2012-05-26 10:29 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

Kiwi_de
Kiwi_de
German to Japanese
+ ...
Important Supplement May 26, 2012

I forgot to write the important point.
If you bring an Action on Small Claim, you have to be in Japan, because the accuser (you) and the accused (the agency) discuss with the judge.
Attorney by a third person without lawyer licence is profibited, so I think it is impossible that your friend or someone in Japan help your for this action, if he/she isn't lawyer.
Maybe you can just write to the agency that you will bring an Action on Small Claim if they don't pay you.
So it
... See more
If you bring an Action on Small Claim, you have to be in Japan, because the accuser (you) and the accused (the agency) discuss with the judge.
Attorney by a third person without lawyer licence is profibited, so I think it is impossible that your friend or someone in Japan help your for this action, if he/she isn't lawyer.
Maybe you can just write to the agency that you will bring an Action on Small Claim if they don't pay you.
So it would be better that you don't write about someone's help in Japan.
The agency don't have to know how you can bring an action.

I don't know whether one can hire a lawyer for such actions or whether one can find a lawyer for such actions.

[2012-05-26 10:53 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

Tiến Anh Lê
Vietnam
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Japanese lawyer found May 26, 2012

Kiwi_de wrote:

So it would be better that you don't write about someone's help in Japan.
The agency don't have to know how you can bring an action.

I don't know whether one can hire a lawyer for such actions or whether one can find a lawyer for such actions.

[2012-05-26 10:53 GMTに編集されました]

Thank you very much. The problem is that I still cannot find any lawyer who can help me to do such a job in Japan. I've found some using Google but they do not seem to be very active.

Kiwi_de
Kiwi_de
German to Japanese
+ ...
Action on Small Claim May 26, 2012

Normally, people bring an Action on Small Claim without hiring any lawer.
This system is intended to bring an action by oneself (without lawyer) and with small costs and to get the judgement soon (normally within a day).
So I think you cannot find any lawyer who takes such job, because they can get too small gain for effort.

Therefore, I think you have only two choices:

- Write to the agency that you are ready to bring an action (you don't have to write how
... See more
Normally, people bring an Action on Small Claim without hiring any lawer.
This system is intended to bring an action by oneself (without lawyer) and with small costs and to get the judgement soon (normally within a day).
So I think you cannot find any lawyer who takes such job, because they can get too small gain for effort.

Therefore, I think you have only two choices:

- Write to the agency that you are ready to bring an action (you don't have to write how and what for a action you want to bring). Maybe the agency will pay you.

- Hire a lawyer, even though it costs much expensive than debt.

I have also the same problem (but with another agency).
I hope you can solve this problem soon.
Collapse

Harry Oikawa
Harry Oikawa  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Option May 27, 2012

Hi Smiles,

I googled about debt collection in Japan and got some hits. Probably you goolged in English therefore you got less hits. If you can read and write Japanese, why don’t you do it in Japanese with the word 債権回収? I advise you not use google.com but google.co.jp., or you will get loads of hits in China or Taiwan. Also if you add 成功報酬 (success fee), you can narrow your search.

That said, my findings suggested that your chance is very slim. In Japa
... See more
Hi Smiles,

I googled about debt collection in Japan and got some hits. Probably you goolged in English therefore you got less hits. If you can read and write Japanese, why don’t you do it in Japanese with the word 債権回収? I advise you not use google.com but google.co.jp., or you will get loads of hits in China or Taiwan. Also if you add 成功報酬 (success fee), you can narrow your search.

That said, my findings suggested that your chance is very slim. In Japan, only the lawyer can collect a debits on behalf of a creditor. Most of lawyer who provide debt collection service require a retainer fee around ¥50,000-. It is already bigger than your credit amount.
Some Judicial scrivener’s office seem to be offering a debt collection service and some of them seem to do it at success fee base. But I don’t know its details without digging in there details or making contact with them.

Another option for you is to post your question at the Japanese forum.
http://www.proz.com/forum/japanese_日本語-40.html

There might be someone who could give you better advice.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collecting service in Japan

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »