US to AU Translation Rate
Thread poster: Naomi Fillmore

Naomi Fillmore
Australia
Local time: 20:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2012

Hi, I have recently been requested to collaborate on a US English to AU English project on a regular basis, including translation and linguistic analysis. What would be the average per word rate for this? Or per hour rate? I have no idea!

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
What does this involve exactly? May 25, 2012

Hi Naomi,

If you're working on a project that arrives on your desk (figuratively speaking) in US English and is supposed to be turned over to your client in AU English, wouldn't that be localization (not translation)? I would also have to say, sadly, that I'm not familiar with "linguistic analysis", does this involve using examples and writing comments or even a report?

From the sound of things, it doesn't sound like a "per word" rate would be feasible. Instead it seems like you should be charging an hourly fee, especially if your "linguistic analysis" ends up being a separate report.

Don't you have a normal hourly fee for your other work? Your fee should be what you think you are worth - per hour. You are a professional, you have education, training, and experience, and you should set your rate accordingly. Also keep in mind that as a freelancer, you receive no employer input into your retirement (super), you have no paid sick days, no paid holiday, no paid insurance - you have to do and pay for everything yourself. So don't be shy with that rate!

One last thing - if you are going to receive payment by PayPal, keep in mind that if the other party is going to pay you in a currency other than AUD and/or from another country, you will be charged a percentage of the amount that is sent to you, and that percent will also change depending on whether the transfer is funded by cash or a credit card. Here is PayPal's Updated Fees Policy, be sure to take this into consideration!

If you have other concerns, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can answer for you.

Good luck!

Naomi Fillmore
Australia
Local time: 20:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 30, 2012

Thanks Janet for your response. You're right, it is a localisation project rather than translation. Linguistic review involved reviewing the company's website to find any linguistic errors or discontinuities in the Australian dialect. I ended up settling on an hourly rate with the client, but I am now grappling with the paypal payment system and invoicing! Thanks again, I have such trouble getting my head around the financial side of this translation industry!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US to AU Translation Rate

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search