Thread poster: Naomi Fillmore
Naomi Fillmore
Naomi Fillmore
Australia
Local time: 05:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 24, 2012

Hi, I have recently been requested to collaborate on a US English to AU English project on a regular basis, including translation and linguistic analysis. What would be the average per word rate for this? Or per hour rate? I have no idea!

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
What does this involve exactly? May 25, 2012

Hi Naomi,

If you're working on a project that arrives on your desk (figuratively speaking) in US English and is supposed to be turned over to your client in AU English, wouldn't that be localization (not translation)? I would also have to say, sadly, that I'm not familiar with "linguistic analysis", does this involve using examples and writing comments or even a report?

From the sound of things, it doesn't sound like a "per word" rate would be feasible. Instead it seems
... See more
Hi Naomi,

If you're working on a project that arrives on your desk (figuratively speaking) in US English and is supposed to be turned over to your client in AU English, wouldn't that be localization (not translation)? I would also have to say, sadly, that I'm not familiar with "linguistic analysis", does this involve using examples and writing comments or even a report?

From the sound of things, it doesn't sound like a "per word" rate would be feasible. Instead it seems like you should be charging an hourly fee, especially if your "linguistic analysis" ends up being a separate report.

Don't you have a normal hourly fee for your other work? Your fee should be what you think you are worth - per hour. You are a professional, you have education, training, and experience, and you should set your rate accordingly. Also keep in mind that as a freelancer, you receive no employer input into your retirement (super), you have no paid sick days, no paid holiday, no paid insurance - you have to do and pay for everything yourself. So don't be shy with that rate!

One last thing - if you are going to receive payment by PayPal, keep in mind that if the other party is going to pay you in a currency other than AUD and/or from another country, you will be charged a percentage of the amount that is sent to you, and that percent will also change depending on whether the transfer is funded by cash or a credit card. Here is PayPal's Updated Fees Policy, be sure to take this into consideration!

If you have other concerns, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can answer for you.

Good luck!
Collapse

Naomi Fillmore
Naomi Fillmore
Australia
Local time: 05:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 30, 2012

Thanks Janet for your response. You're right, it is a localisation project rather than translation. Linguistic review involved reviewing the company's website to find any linguistic errors or discontinuities in the Australian dialect. I ended up settling on an hourly rate with the client, but I am now grappling with the paypal payment system and invoicing! Thanks again, I have such trouble getting my head around the financial side of this translation industry!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US to AU Translation Rate

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »