Trevor Chichester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
Member (2012)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2012

Hey Guys,

I have a client based out of Belgium that dropped off the face of the earth right after I sent the translation. They are WAY beyond the agreed time frame of payment and they owe me a large sum of money. It turns out that this "agency" is notorious for non-payment according to the blue boards and other forums.

What legal recourse do I have here? I find it unbelievable that these "agencies" continue to thrive by literally scamming people.

... See more
Hey Guys,

I have a client based out of Belgium that dropped off the face of the earth right after I sent the translation. They are WAY beyond the agreed time frame of payment and they owe me a large sum of money. It turns out that this "agency" is notorious for non-payment according to the blue boards and other forums.

What legal recourse do I have here? I find it unbelievable that these "agencies" continue to thrive by literally scamming people.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get my money? I'm based out of the US and not EU.

If someone can help me I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards,

Trevor
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:09
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Definitely! Jun 8, 2012

Trevor Chichester wrote:
client based out of Belgium
I'm based out of the US and not EU.

I'm sure it complicates things being a cross-continent debt, but if it's a lot of money, then it's worth pursuing. Please don't let them get away for it, for the sake of the rest of us, too.

I can't help you personally, but I'm sure you could either get a lawyer onto it or a debt-collection company. But first, it would be wise to check the Companies Register for Belgium. It's probably online and it's probably free or cheap to get at the info. If they've gone out of business, then you'd be throwing good money after bad, and if they're in receivership, then you need to contact the receiver directly.

HTH - maybe others can be more specific.

Good luck!

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt Collecting in Belgium

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »