Client changed the agreed rate after job completion
Thread poster: smc
smc
Local time: 09:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2012

A Hong Kong based client needed an urgent job done, and quoted a flat rate for the job. As it's a short job that I can fit in, I immediately agreed. The rate she quoted was close to my usual rate, and as she's a new client, I didn't think of charging a minimum rate. I sent her the invoice after the job was completed. She has now changed the rate on the invoice, saying there's a mistake in the invoice, and has now changed to a per word rate instead, thus reducing the rate by half.

I had checked this outsourcer, and she seems to have been rated rather well, and even though I can't check who rated her, I thought it safe enough to proceed.

Have you come across clients who change the agreed rate after completion of the job?
What can I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge as agreed Jun 10, 2012

Clearly you had agreed on a flat rate, and I assume that is reflected in the email exchange you had with the customer. If they sent you a PO (you should have asked for one!!!), the flat rate would be on the PO.

Now it is too late for the customer to change the rate. They must pay the agreed rate. If they do not, you should clearly give a bad score in their Blueboard as an unreliable business partner.

Something that I think would be unprofessional however would be to menace them with a Blueboard entry. Simply do not mention that, and if they finally do not pay the agreed amount, add the entry to the Blueboard. There is no way back in the Blueboard: whatever score you write there should be intentional and should stay, even if they finally pay the agreed amount to try to convince you to have the entry removed.

In the Blueboard, there is no need to add any comment: a bad score is enough for everyone to understand that they are not reliable.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Just say no, kids Jun 10, 2012

Tell her that what she's doing is unacceptable. Show her the email in which she agreed to your rate before starting. Refuse to engage in any further discussion until she acknowledges the rate originally agreed. Send your correct invoice again.

If they're determined to cheat you, to be honest, there's little you can do. You're in the right, but collecting the debt would be more effort than it's worth.

But that's not usually the case. Usually it's just a flustered PM under pressure from her boss, and you just need to be firm. Friendly and polite, but absolutely inflexible on this point.

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
Romanian to English
+ ...
Post factum changes Jun 10, 2012

As long as you are not entitled to change the deadline AFTER it passed, they are not allowed to change the rate after the job is done. Period.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
"Changing" the invoice Jun 10, 2012

Actually, it is not such a bad idea! I've got a pile of invoices here - telecom, electricity, gas - I think I will amend them all to 50% of their value and send them back...

Sounds ridiculous? But that's exactly what she is trying to do... Seriously, just say no.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:27
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ratings on Blueboard Jun 10, 2012

On Blueboard you can check the names of the people who gave the ratings in the left column. I always look if there is anyone I know from Kudoz or from having worked with them.

smc
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Client changed the agreed rate after job completion Jun 28, 2012

Thank you all for your support. I'm still wrangling with her. The entry in Blueboard sounds like a way forward, if I don't get paid. Aargh!

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Dodgy marketplace? Jun 29, 2012

This is, of course, completely unacceptable, and as others have said, you must insist on your rights, based on the communication you have had with this client.

I still consider myself a newcomer at ProZ.com, and I still consider the outsourcers marketplace dodgy because there are so many appalling offers being made out there, it's hard to believe that they are all reliable professional clients. My approach is the same as to gambling (buying lottery tickets): never bet more than you can afford to lose. Until you know a client, don't agree to do jobs that you cannot afford not to get paid for. Sad, but that's my approach here for the time being.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client changed the agreed rate after job completion

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search