Language Lead rates vs translation/review rates?
Thread poster: Tradaurelie

Tradaurelie  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:57
English to French
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

Dear all,

One client offered me a LL role for one of their client. This would imply review, answering to queries, doing QA's, being the contact for the client for a couple of months...
They said they would pay me using my standard hourly rate, the one I would charge for reviewing a translation for instance.
Would you qualify these LL tasks as standard, as you bear some of the responsibility for the quality of the project when you are a LL?
In other terms, do you think the same hourly rate should be applied to one hour of review and to one hour of LL task, or that LL tasks should have a higher rate? I can't help but wonder....

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alejandro Garcia-Quismondo Cartes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different hourly rate should apply, but... Jun 12, 2012

I receive this kind of requests from time to time to cover LL roles which in the past were completed in-house. Taking into account level of responsibility, hourly rate should be higher; however and based on my experience, most clients trying to subcontract this task are not willing to pay a higher rate, so basically it will depend on your interest to handle this task.

Mi advice is to request a higher rate.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Time zone, availability requirements, etc. Jun 12, 2012

Tradaurelie wrote:
One client offered me a LL role for one of their client. This would imply review, answering to queries, doing QA's, being the contact for the client for a couple of months...

If the client is say in the US, it would mean night shifts (3pm-midnight?), so you would take this into account in your hourly rate.
If you are on call 100% of the opening hours and this task takes precedence over anything else, you would also take this into account in your hourly rate (lost opportunities and business), which would becomes your hourly rate to deal with emergencies.

Basically, for the company it means shifting all the administrative and economic burden of having an employee to you, without any of the benefits of being employed: security, business expenses paid, employer's welfare contributions, bonuses, training, lunch vouchers, contribution to commuting costs, payment the 27 of each month and not up to 90 days after, etc.

Also the scope of the task is to be well defined, to make sure you agreed to be woken up by the phone at 3am Sunday morning for an urgent QA check.

All this should be taken into account when working out an offer.

Philippe

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Quid pro quo? Jun 12, 2012

They pay for a reviewer and get a key account manager?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language Lead rates vs translation/review rates?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search