Introduction of the Certified Pro Status for Agencies
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
English to German
+ ...
Jun 18, 2012

Proz.com is introducing a new feature, the opportunity for outsources/agencies to become members of the Certified-Pro Network.

I learned of this because I used to be (and was, for many years), a full member of Proz.com and a member of the Certified-Pro network myself, and Proz.com staff informed members of that network about this new feature via a topic-posting in this forum, just a few days ago.

I commented on this new feature twice in that post (rather critically), but my posts have since been hidden by staff because I am no longer a Certified Pro or Proz.com member (voluntarily). My non-membership prevents me from posting in or reading any posts which are for Certified-Pro members' eyes only.

However, I strongly believe that this new development should be reported to all Proz.com users (and maybe it will), and it should also be discussed among all users of Proz.com because it could, as I believe, have some impact on how business is conducted, in the future, via this platform, and on how Certified-Pro agencies will be able to present and conduct themselves, with respect to all users here at Proz.com

As is suggested, outsourcers/agencies will be able to apply for membership in the Certified-Pro network, and any outsourcer/agency will be eligible. It will be, up to, I believe, translators (not other outsourcers?!) to vote them in (= give favorable reviews on which Proz.com staff will base their decision to admit an outsourcer/agency into the network). Following Proz.com business guidelines and a good rapport with translators via the Blueboard are the main two criteria, as I gathered.

The criterion of "professional rates" will not (directly) be part of these conditions for application to or acceptance into the network.
The idea behind it is to give agencies the opportunity to show how "professional" they are.

Various colleagues have already expressed their disapproval of the new feature in the Certified-Pro Post, mainly because outsourcing "agencies" are a completely different entity than individual translators.

I contributed a point of criticism and an example:

My point:
Outsourcers/agencies will be able to display the red P (not distinguishable from Certified-Pro translators), and based on that badge, these agencies will, even more so than in the past, pay however much or little, as they (the outsourcers) decide.

The danger is that because of the distinction of Certified-Pro membership, they will feel empowered, and will, more strongly than before, insist on their rates and feel they are beyond reproach.

I gave an example for a possible applicant, based on recent job posts and Blueboard records:

The corporate member has been a Proz.com member for more than 3 years, its overall Blueboard rating is 4.5 (slightly changed this in order to prevent it from being identified here), its rating for the last twelve months is "5", and its latest post was in my language directions, for a very long document (length of a very long manual or short book) from one of the following fields: medical/legal/technical (again - I am not revealing the actual field but it is one these three). A CAT Tool is required and the desired rate range, as stated by the poster, was between USD 0.03 - USD 0.05/source word (I altered this also, but my changes are minimal).

I don't think I'm breaking any rules posting this here.
Thank you for your comments.

B

Direct link

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No difference Jun 18, 2012

If this does happen, I don't think it will make much difference to anything. I can't actually see the point of it. Perhaps someone could explain what the purpose is.

I would add that I don't think Blue Board is always a reliable guide.

[Edited at 2012-06-18 17:16 GMT]

Direct link

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
This initiative and details related will be officially announced in due time Jun 18, 2012

PRO certification for translation companies --an initiative contemplated from the very beginning of the Certified PRO Network-- will be officially announced when testing of the application procedure and platform is complete.

I appreciate your patience.

Lucia

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introduction of the Certified Pro Status for Agencies

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search