Payment methods: cheap way to receive payments from overseas agencies
Thread poster: Andrea Cingolani

Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Local time: 08:36
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Jun 26, 2012

This topic may have been posted previously.

I am trying to find a good payment method to propose to translation agencies abroad.

Usually, translation agencies are not willing to pay by bank transfer because of the high bank transfer fees.
Therefore, they ask the translator to setup a Paypal or Moneybookers' account.
Transaction fees for receiving money through these two optional methods of payment are though very expensive for the recipient, sometimes more expensive than getting paid by bank transfer and bearing all bank transfer fees.

I found out that Xoom.com is a very cheap and easy way of getting paid from US agencies as it costs just 4.99 USD.
Xoom just covers payments from US to Italy. But what if I need to receive payments from Canada or from a European country like Great Britain for example?

Anyone knows other payment solutions?

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
cash Jun 26, 2012

get only big projects and ask for payment by cash
there is no better reason for traveling & adventure

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Within the EU Jun 26, 2012

Transfers should be free - up to a certain farily high maximum amount transferred. So UK - Italy at least should be no problem. Canada and US are anyone's guess since the latter at least seems to make life particulary difficult for anyone who would want to do anything as radical as transferring money abroad (probably on the assumption any payments abroad automatically go to Al Qaida!)

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not true, I'm afraid Jun 26, 2012

David Wright wrote:

Transfers should be free - up to a certain farily high maximum amount transferred. So UK - Italy at least should be no problem.

My bank, RBS (you know, the one with all the problems at the moment so that nobody can transfer anything anywhere), charges £15 for all transfers out of the UK, even if they do the transfer in GBP. I believe UK banks have some sort of an exemption because they aren't Eurozone (?). Anyway, I think the true picture is that banks can't charge more for a transfer to another EU country than they do to another bank in the same country. That isn't necessarily free.

Nevertheless, it's usually the best system within the EU.

Sheila

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transfers free within Euro not EU Jun 26, 2012

David Wright wrote:
Within the EU Transfers should be free

Transfers are not free within the EU (27 countries) they are "free" between the EU countries that use the Euro (17 countries), however free is not exactly it either, they are to be treated the same as a transfer within your country.

That means that if you live in a country that uses the Euro and your bank normally charges you something for local transfers then you will also pay the same amount for transfers to other Euro countries. If your bank doesn't charge for local transfers then they can't charge for Euro transfers.

For example in Spain a lot of banks don't charge for local transfers so they don't charge for Euro transfers either, but some do, you have to shop around.

Should also mention this only applies if the payment to another Euro country is in Euros, if for some reason (you never know) you had to send a payment in another currency (USD, GBP, etc) to another Euro country then this rule does not apply and the bank can charge you whatever they want.

[Edited at 2012-06-26 17:17 GMT]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
North America to Eurozone Jun 26, 2012

Andrea Cingolani wrote:
This topic may have been posted previously.

It's very likely indeed.

US to Eurozone:
http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/226789-payment_methods_usa_based_companies.html

Philippe

Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
To: David Wright Jun 27, 2012

Actually, a UK agency told me they had to pay 25GBP for bank transfer fees...

Andrea Cingolani
Italy
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
to: Philippe Etienne Jun 27, 2012

Yes, but the link you posted does not relate to my question.

Infact I asked for cheap methos of payment/receiving money from Canada and UK which have the most expensive fees.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment methods: cheap way to receive payments from overseas agencies

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search