Tarifs audio script
Thread poster: M A P

M A P  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to French
+ ...
Jun 27, 2012

Bonjour, on me propose un gros projet de traduction de script, et on me demande un devis pour la traduction audio. Il y très longtemps que je n'ai pas bossé sur ce genre de projet et je n'ai pas la moindre idée des tarifs, pouvez-vous m'aider ?
Merci

Direct link Reply with quote

Oriana Bonan  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Transcription + translation rate Jun 27, 2012

When translating from an audio source, I charge around 130% of my usual per-word rate for the same kind of document.
This amount also covers transcription because I think this is the best way to ensure high quality. Overall, I also find it less time-consuming and stressful than listening back and forth while running the risk of skipping or misunderstanding something. I take care of the transcription myself or, depending on the quality and subject, have it done by a native speaker of the source language, who is faster and more accurate than I can be.
When I deliver the project, if the client is interested, I also send in the transcription.

For those cases when I am asked to provide a per-minute quote, over time I have worked out a corresponding set of rates based on several factors, such as audio quality, number of speakers, quantity of speech, etc. These rates, however, are very subjective as they depend on my personal working speed.

M A P  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 27, 2012

Many thanks for your detailed reply Oriana, it is very helpful and I will certainly be using the transcription tip. All the best,

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Per minute of total recording time Jun 27, 2012

Merci bien qu'on n'a pas bésoin de t'ecrire en Français, car j'ai dejà en oublié presque tout.

I charge per minute of total recording time. If all your client needs is the translation into one language, there is no reason to transcribe first and translate afterwards. You can do it directly. However if the recording will be translated into several languages, then okay, it is cheaper to transcribe it first, and then give the transcript to several translators.

To find out how much you should charge, be my guest to read this page. The last item there gives you one way to calculate it, and maybe you'll find some useful tips on the way.

One possible issue is audio quality. Sometimes people want a transcript from such a bad recording that no human is capable of decrypting. So I suggest you check this page too.

Good luck!

Oriana Bonan  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Transcription and purpose of translation Jun 28, 2012

As José writes in the article he linked to, knowing the purpose of a translation is crucial.

In order to be truly helpful to M A P, in my previous post, I should have mentioned that I generally translate lectures and speeches from conferences, meetings, and the like. The video input, when available, is basically irrelevant. The content, on the other hand, is usually very technical and laden with data (medical, financial), and I need to be extremely accurate.
My translations are to be printed as proceedings or minutes, and usually require quite a bit of adaptation to be acceptable as independent written texts. That's why I use the transcription-translation procedure, and then, of course, go back and listen to the recording to double check intonation etc. whenever necessary.
I use the same method when I translate other kinds of materials (usually short newscast features or scientific animations), which is rare and only for one client, who always needs the transcription as well.

To José:
Thanks for the links to your website.
Actually, I don't do subtitling or translation for dubbing and such, because I am aware that they constitute a separate specialization requiring specific expertise. I don't plan to do them in the future, but I am going to read very carefully all of your articles. I have quickly browsed through them and they look really interesting and helpful.

Oriana

[Edited at 2012-06-28 08:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tarifs audio script

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search